Do you feel that C-section moms missed out on the birthing experience?

This goes out to all women, c-section and natural. Is there some magical moment that only happens with a vaginal birth?
Not trying to start drama. I watched part of the "buisiness of Being Born" and one dr. in the movie seems to think that there is.. and women who have c-sections dont experience it..
I had a c-section, and I dont feel like I have missed out on anything. My baby is happy and healthy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• oh no i dont feel that at all and i had 2 and i was knocked out both time i feel asleep and walk up and got my baby handed to me :)
    i also seen my friend in labour a few monmths ago and well i def glad not i niver had to do it lol
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No. They experienced one just different from a vaginal birth. Magical? I didn't find any of mine (all vaginal) magical. It was painful and I wanted it over with.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had a c-sec with both. DS was an ER C and I did feel deprived for a long time. I felt like I missed what was supposed to be the (no pun intended) crowing moment of motherhood. I felt like it was ripped away form me. Now I also had PPD so that may have contributed. I blamed myself, then the doctors, I even went through a phase where I blamed my son. I got over it with time. With DD *I* chose the c-sec. It was *MY* idea and that helped me be more accepting of it. IT wasnt a last min failure, It was the plan all along. If I had tried for a VBAC (Which for me was not recommended) and had failed I know I would had a terrible time getting over it again. It hink it is personal. Some women, like me, have a hard time with it and others, like you, don't.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No but I have heard of a lot of moms not feeling "as much" of a mom as one who gave birth vaginally.
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 6:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• its not about the method, but the fact that this child came from your body...
    goodi2shooz

Answer by goodi2shooz at 6:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• for a while, i was sad because i didn't get to watch or help birth my ds like i'd planned on. the C-S was a last minute decision due to complications with mine/baby's bp, so i didn't really get to choose anything, but to get it out ASAP. i was even still knocked out when they pulled him out; my dh said he told me and showed me the baby, but i didn't remember anything.
    he's a healthy 6yo (this month)..so that's all that matters. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i can tell you my step kids mum gave birth to them and she a terrable mum she neglected her kids ! i have 2 sections and i'm a good mother who love her kids and loves and raises her step kids
    so every time i hear people say stuff about c-section mum's i think of that !
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had a vaginal birth and a c-section and I didn't feel any difference in my bonding with either of them... I preferred the c-section, that just me though :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had a c-section, and I feel highly inadequate because of it. They told me DD's heart rate was dropping with each contration...not by a lot, but consistantly. And my contractions were very close together, so it scared me. I also had preeclampsia. They kept saying it wasn't an emergency...but I was all loopy from the epi and some other narcotic, so I signed. DH wasn't there; my grandparents and sister were (DH was in Army triaing in SC). I feel that if he'd been there, maybe hecould have been able to help me decide whether it was necessary. I'm thankful that my daughter is here, happy, and healthy...but I still haven't gotten over the c-section.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I've had 5 c-sections and I really don't care what others people think I missed out on. It doesn't effect me and I'm happy with the births of my kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011