I am 6 weeks pregnant and i have my nipples pierced...should i take them out..leave them in....will it effect breastfeeding??

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 6:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can keep them in if you're comfortable. It should not cause an issue with nursing, unless there is excessive scarring, or severed ducts. You WILL need to remove the jewelry for EVERY feeding though, and I've heard moms say that sometimes, milk will come out of the pierced holes in addition to the other parts of the nipple that milk comes from. It's nothing to worry about, but I'm sure you'd rather not be taken by surprise if it happens.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I found out that I was pregnant about 8 months after piercing my belly button. 1 doctor told me to remove it because something in the metal of the ring could get into my bloodstream and hurt the baby. A nurse told me to take it out to avoid it ripping as I got bigger. Another OB told me it was safe for me and the baby and was more of a personal preference. The first answer seemed a little far out there to me, but I never did get any OB's who shared the same opinion on the matter. Maybe ask your OB and see what their opinion is!
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• A friend I have had her nipples pierced and she was told her whole pregnancy that they were fine to keep in even while breastfeeding... Then she had the baby and when she fed in the hospital a nurse called child services on her for having the nipple rings... Might wanna air on the side of caution, you can always have them pierced again.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 6:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• The danger is the risk of choking, which disappears if the jewelry is not in during feedings.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• oh ouch!! I don't know what to say!!!!!!!
    But I would remove them if you plan to breast feed.
    again....ouch!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2011