Thumb sucking, what's your opinion?

My daughter is 2 1/2 years old and sucks her thumb when she's sleepy and distressed. My husband wanted to nix it a long time ago and I cried and said "It makes her feel good". I sucked mine until I was eight and my mom was the same. By the way our teeth are straight. I learned in my psychology class that one of Freud's "theories" was that if that issue wasn't resolved in a timely manner that it could cause the child to seek other oral gratification like smoking or overeating later in life.

luvinher

Asked by luvinher at 10:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• dear lands let that baby have his thumb as long has you do your job as a mother in taking care of him, his thumb cant be that dirty and if people dont like, they shouldnt look!!! you know that old saying goes, you should never say never, I hope that other ladys kids sucks its whole hand and then maybe she wouldnt be so ugly to other moms, whats more important loving and keeping your kids healthy and safe or fighting with a child over a thumb? when he is done with it, he will stop on his own, and no, none of my three children sucked there thumb, but some do and who cares?
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• IMO I hate thumb-sucking at ANY age. For many reasons. Like it's a dirty, germy habit. And it makes you look like a dumb baby. I would never let a child of mine suck her thumb. Gross! IMO.
    Anonymous

• If she is not doing it in public I would not worry about it.
    Also check with her dentist and make sure it is not doing any damage to her gums.

My cousin sucked her thumb until she was aroun 12 - I always thougt it was strange - but as far as I know she only did it in front of family.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 10:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I sucked my thumb until I was 2. My son is 2 1/2 and he sucks his thumb. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Our dentist said there is really no point in trying to make a child stop sucking their thumb before the age of 4 years old. I didn't push my sons thumb on him. He found it himself when he was only a couple weeks old. It was his way of comforting himself. So, for someone to say that it is gross and that you would never let your child suck their thumb is just selfish. Some babies don't need anything, some have a pacifier, some have a thumb, and some have ablanket. All babies are different and I say that if your daughter is still comfroted by sucking her thumb then let her do it.
    sassyhettel

Answer by sassyhettel at 11:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• another thing who in there right mind would call a baby dumb?>who do you think you are, oh thats right anonymous!! this mother took the time to type and ask her question for a real answer not a judgment from people like you. you should feel bad, and I will pray for you and your family, I hope God blesses you and maybe you will have a better attitude about children
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Dont force her to quit. If you do, she may quit for awhile and then start again or frind other things to suck on. Or she may not start again. everychild is differant.
    From my experiance, I used to suck my fingers and I was forced to stop in 2nd grade so I could get a retainer thing. I stopped until about 3rd or 4th grade and started sucking my thumb. One day, the summer before 8th grade I decided on my own that I didnt want to do it anymore and I wanted braces(for ovious reasons my parents werent gonna get me braces until I stopped). I was able to quit cold turkey because I was "over" the thumb sucking. Every child is different. Do what you feel is best for your child.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 1:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My son is 2.5 years old too and he is sitting here on my lap actually sucking his thumb. I have no problem with it. He does it for comfort and what is wrong with comfort. I have oral fixations and I never sucked my thumb. There are other ways to deal with oral fixations than smoking. I chew on toothpicks and chew gum mostly.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would think its ok if its for comfort -your daughter may grow out of it this way...but if its out of habit then I would think its bad.

For instance, my son (who is now 1) had a pacifier when he was younger (he stopped using it of his own accord for comfort) and he was only giving it when he was teething or had a problem that nothing else would calm down. He grew out of this and he teeths now but wants cuddles instead...he grew out of it a couple of months ago - he would throw it across the room LOL.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:57 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Anyway I see some mothers who give the pacifier to their child just to shut them up...and so ultimately it becomes a habit..I think this is wrong because its the mothers fault for 'causing' the habit to start by shoving a paci in their mouth every chance they got!

I think sucking your thumb is ok..I wouldnt worry about it and I wouldnt make a big deal. I dont think its right to make a child feel bad for something they use for comfort. She will grow out of it.
    keyaziz

• I think it's fine to let her suck her thumb. That's HER way of comforting herself. If you take that away from her, in an abrupt manner, then that may be when seeking other forms of oral gratification begins. In our society there is WAY too much emphasis on what adults think kids should be doing and look at how our generations of kids are getting worse and worse. The last 100 years or so have been filled with Fruedian type advice about how we should take away the pacifier, and the breast, and no co-sleeping, and don't over cuddle, etc. These ideas have become a nomal part of our lives and our husbands don't know any better. But she will outgrow it when she's ready and it will not affect her in a bad way. I sucked my thumb til I was 10. My teeth are straight (no braces) and I am NORMAL..I think. That annon. poster is horrible. There is no such thing a dumb baby!
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 1:56 AM on Dec. 2, 2008