Why do Americans think that overcrowded schools is a consequence of illegal immigration?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Because in some areas it is- in Denver the influx illegal immigrants has necessitated an increase in services to this group including bi-lingual education and health services- the money to pay for this comes from the same pot that classrooms are funded from meaning the same amount of money now needs to be spread thinner for services that were not previously needed- now that Denver needs more money for education that means some of our tax money that use to be stay in my district is diverted over there- causing a decrease in per pupil funding which in turn means we need to have more students per class to stay solvent-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• This American doesn't think that. I think overcrowded schools are due to budget cutbacks and less teachers, therefore larger class sizes. I'm sure immigrants contribute to overcrowding in border states but it is mainly due to lack of money to build new schools and add teaching staff.
    Anonymous

• Our schools aren't overcrowded, our classrooms are. The teacher's union here has taken a no negotiation stance the last 2 years and more than 100 teachers have been fired because of it. The average classroom size is between 38 and 40. If they fire another 50 teachers for this next year it will push it closer to 50.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't know if this a particular problem in the Southwest/Florida etc where thee are more immigrants from Hispanic countries, but we live in Northern MN, where the population is largely white, largely children of families who have lived here for over 100 years, many in this very state.

Our schools are VERY crowded, athe number one cause of this is BUDGET CUTS, and I'm sure that's a large conributor to the problems in your schools as well. Most states/cities no longer have neighborhood schools. As for immigrant families having many chilren, I don't know anything about those statistics, but I'd be very curious tosee what they are.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 7:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I didn't know they did.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• OP, what data are you basing your theory on? If you are going to talk the talk, you better walk the walk...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• lol to anon. #1 but Were did this come from over crowding in school is due to lack of funds less techers n less classrooms...
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Because some Americans believe everything from heavy traffic on the freeway to their burned cheeseburger is because of illegal immigrants. lol
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• This American teacher doesn't think that is the case!! :o) It has more to do with school district budgets based off of the property tax base (fewer home owners means less school funding!) and demographics, along with how powerful the local teacher's union is and the sweetheart contract they have in place!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It's more a poorly designed education system...I fully intend to homeschool :)
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 7:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011