Have your parents ever told you that they would disown you for something?

What was it?

My dad hates smokers and told me that he would disown me if I was a smoker. Ridiculous, I know. Little does he know that I smoked for about 3 years and managed to hide it from him.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Mine just did. I was never "good enough" for them and they were always mean now they want to be back in my life suddenly because I have a son and act like nothing ever happened...I know how to be a great parent, just not be like them :( We can only choose our partners and descendants unfortunately...
    LovableFox

Answer by LovableFox at 7:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yup all the time My parents are pretty strict but havnt disowned me yet lol
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yep. My mother disowned me (only knew her for about a year of my life anyhow..but she disowned me because i told her to quit talking bad on my diceased father. She couldnt handle that obviously. But thats a whoooooole different story. Honestly, I obviously had a really shitty "mom", i lost my dad, and the rest of my family i keep distant with cuz they are rude. If he really is going to disown you for that..its not even worth fighting over. After all, the most important ppl are your kids and hubby...thats all you really truly need.

he probably just says that ...maybe he will come around... maybe not. But its not worth stressin over. It is crude of him to even SAY that. Just shows how much he really cares about having you in his life.
    May sound harsh...but this is what i have had to come and realize.
    hope everything works out for you
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes and it was stupid they both did it for stupid stuff. They are control freaks that should worry about their own life decisions and leave you alone. My dad even tried to control me from the grave in his will but the law doesn't allow that nonsense.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was raised by my grandparents in a very strict home. My grandmother disowned me when she found out I was joining the Navy. She kicked me out a few weeks before graduation so I pretty much slept on friends couches til I graduated and two weeks later I was in boot camp. A few months after that I called her and we made up just for her to disown me again when I went home for Christmas. I spent Christmas with strangers that year. A few months after that we started talking again and its been as if she never disowned me. I recently visited her with the baby and everything was fine. I'm never spending a Christmas with her again just because it hurt me so much when she turned me away.
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Neither of my parents ever disown me or any of my 7 brothers and sisters. There were lots of disagreements over the years but we still proudly called everybody family!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• mommy103110, I'm sorry about what you went through. To be honest, I'm not stressed over what my dad said... he is being an idiot. I am a very good person and If he wants to disown me over THAT, then so be it. I sure as heck don't want him ever saying things like that to me children or I will disown HIM in a heartbeat. A child should never have to be afraid that their family member will abandon them. My dad is also prejudice and I have already started distancing myself from him because I don't want him filling my kids heads with nonsense.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No but my parents disowned my sister when she was 17 and have not seen her since. Not that my sister does not want a relationship with them but my parents do not. I have a hard time with it because no matter what my son does I will always love him.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No, I'm lucky to have extremely liberal and understanding parents.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• If we ever got arrested.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:19 PM on Apr. 11, 2011