Think it's wrong that I deleted some of my daughter's "friends" off of her Facebook account?

They were just causing way too much grief & drama for our family. You might even go as far as saying they were somewhat stalking us. My husband, her dad, thinks I overstepped my parental boundaries. She's 17 & still a minor.
Please don't bash me if you disagree. I honestly did what I felt was right.

wyldflowrr_6

Asked by wyldflowrr_6 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What makes you think she won't add her back?
    Anonymous

• if she's underage, then you can do whatever you want....I think some of those social networking sites are terrible for teens....if you felt it was right, then it probably was....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No. she's lucky to even have a facebook account.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• She'll probably add them back. Try to talk to her and explain why you don't want her to be friends with them.
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 7:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my parents would have deleted the account so she should be happy
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 7:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Eh, I don't think so. You're the parent, she's living in your house- that makes YOU the authority over her. Go right ahead- I don't think social networking sites are a great idea for kids/teens anyway. Some do not misuse it, but I've heard WAY too many stories about teens and FB. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 7:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Personally, I feel like you over-stepped. Yes, she's still a minor, and under your roof...but she can just add them back. And just because you deleted them, doesn't mean she won't talk to them outside of FB. I think at that age, you should talk to the kid before going behind their back to do things. I'd feel invaded if my parents had done that...I don't know. Seventeen is still a kid, and you're the parent...but I believe in privacy, even with kids.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You defintely need to talk to her. I can tell you this right now, not communicating with your kids will turn them against you in a heartbeat. I lost my dad and you wanna know how i found out? The school..and you wanna know how i found out HOW? Through a newspaper. My family was totally capable of telling me what happened but because we did not have good communication i got so angry. You know that you love your daughter SO much and you feel you show that in so many ways. But she needs you to talk to her about EVERYTHING. She is 17, a year away from being "adult". Its your rules, your house....but i feel its good for her to have some kind of privacy and she will just go back and add them. I feel by doing this, she is going to now go behind your back and hang out with these ppl cuz she knows you obviously dont want her talking to them.
    talk to her! I rebelled like hell cuz nobody TALKED to me. Please, talk to her!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong at all for what you did. My daughters have a account and I check on theirs everyday. You did what you think was right for your family. And as long as they are underage you have that right.
    Alabamamama06

Answer by Alabamamama06 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I can't even imagine what was going on, I've seen so many stories about FB bullying. If it's causing enough drama that you're even aware, you've got to do what's best for your family. Now that you've made this step, she may start hiding things.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 8:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2011