How do you cook asparagus?

I've never cooked it. i've actually only ever had it once...i liked it. my son asked me to buy it today because he wanted to try "bamboo." lol, so i'm going to cook him bamboo. any good ideas that would be tasty for a 6 year old?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 7:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oven-Roasted-Asparagus/Detail.aspx
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 7:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I steam them but you can also roast them. They are great even for kids

Answer by admckenzie at 7:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I usually steam it or put it in a frying pan with cooking spray and garlic until the tips get soft...mmmmmmmm
    melissanovak

Answer by melissanovak at 7:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My 2 year old will actually eat them when I cook it like this: I was them, cut off the bottom part (the small hard part which you don't eat), put them in a baking dish, sprinkle with salt and coat with cooking spray. I bake them at 400 for 12 minutes. While they are baking, I melt some butter and then mix in a little basalmac vinegar and then when the asparagus come out of the oven, I pour the butter mixture over them. Yummy! Now, I'm craving "bamboo"
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I always steam them with butter and a little salt.
    Alabamamama06

Answer by Alabamamama06 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I usually trim the tough bottoms, then toss them in a little olive oil with salt & pepper, then spread them out on a sheet pan and roast them in a hot oven for about 15 mins.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 8:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I roast them in th oven with a little olive oil, kosher salt and pepper....about 425 for maybe 15-20 mins. In the summer I prep them the same, but do them on the grill... and just before serving they get a sprinkle of parmesan. Love asparagus, we probably have it at least twice a week.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I cut the bottoms off- cook them in a skillet with a little butter and garlic powder
    they are YUMMY!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I've tried on the grill (drizzle with a little olive oil & sprinkle with salt, turn often & watch close), oven roasted, in a frying pan, but I always go back to steamed - I don't do it for long, I discovered I like it best a little crunchy yet. I put plenty of butter, and a little salt & pepper on it.
    Anonymous

• I drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper and grill it or steam in a pan with a lid. I LOVE it grilled.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011