I am dealing with a lot of stress, and I actually think I'm depressed....

But I don't want to go through counseling, because I'm currently in a custody battle and I was told that the court will take that into consideration. I was wondering if I brought my current issues up to my doctor, if he would prescribe me a mood stabilizer, or something to that sort. I have NEVER taken any kind of RX to that kind, how does it make you feel? Did your symptoms ever get worse? Did you HAVE to seek professional help? What doctor do I go to, my regular family care doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Health

• I was able to see my regular doctor. HTH :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Your regular doctor should be able to prescribe something for depression.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• it may be better to try talking to someone . going on drugs with no help may mean you wont come off them until you face the reason you need them in the uk most dr wont even talk about drugs until you are getting help . if you need someone to talk to who want juge you then feel free to message me i maybe can give you any advice or help but i can be someone to moan to :) as long as you dont my spelling i'm dyslexic

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I know someone who was very depressed while she was going through a nasty custody battle. She didn't want any record of her ever being depressed, so she ended up being prescribed a stop-smoking drug that is an antidepressant under a different name. Same drug, just marketed under a different name.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was put on Cymbalta after my ex left me with two kids. I took it for about a year. Prescribed by my regular doctor. I was reluctant to go on it because of the "stigma," but it helped a lot.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2011