Calling all creative Moms!! Need ideas!

I have an almost 12 year old with autism and an almost 2 year old who is too smart for his and my own good. My 12 year-old-to-be has very poor ( maybe I should have said extrememly poor) fine motor skills. My 2 year old has great fine motor skills. We try to teach our autistic son to be as independent as he can be. My 2 year old wants to be more independent than he should be.
My problem is--that I can't toddler proof a lot of things without taking away my older son's independence.
My biggest issue right now is door knobs. I can't put the plastic door knob covers on the doors as it will not allow my older son to use the bathroom or even go into his bedroom without my help. We tried a baby gate, but he is unable to work those as well. As of now, we just take the toddler out of the room and my older boy has taken to locking his bedroom door when he wants to play by himself in his room. However, this does not prevent my 2 year old from going in his room any other time.
I had suggested hook and eye locks high enough for my older boy to unhook it, but my husband doesn't really want to put holes in the doors and door frames. If we can't think of anything else, this is what we will do, but I was wondering if any of you very creative ladies have any other ideas we could try first.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 8:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Frankly, I'd go with the hooks and eyes. A little dab of wood filler will fix the holes when they're not needed anymore. We're talking about a tiny job in the future vs. your 12-year-old's independence.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Also remember that part of parenting a 2 yr old is teaching him boundaries.
    Anonymous

• We have hook and eye locks on ALL of our bedroom doors and doors to rooms in which we want to keep our autistic children out of! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i wish i was
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2011