Spanking- Appropriate age?

I'm not saying I take one side or the other. I'm just asking how young is too young? A friend of mine has been spanking her babies since they were 8 months old and using a wooden spoon to spank them. To me that seems really young and a spoon really excessive for such a young baby. Am I just being overly sensitive here?

toykeymama

Asked by toykeymama at 8:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• we spank as a SUPER last resort and only for seriously major violations of rules and safety. My daughter was spanked earlier (2 1/2?) than my son because he wasn't terribly verbal. We don't spank out of anger, and spanking someone who cannot verbally communicate with you lacks compassion and reason.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yeah, that is WAAYYYY too young. And to use a spoon too! I really do not think that is OK.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That is completely inappropriate and WAY over the top!! What does she expect to accomplish by hitting a baby!?!? I don't spank, but I don't think people should use that as a method discipline under 2 years old at all.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Way too young and too harsh as well. The earliest I start spanking is 2. and only 1 light swat with my hand.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Poor babyyyyy!!!! That baby is just a BABY ... 8 months??? REALLY??? I dont even need to give reasons why...that is SO wrong!
    I say probably about 1 1/2 almost 2 cuz thats when they start to test you.
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Your friend shouldn't be allowed to have children. How can an 8 month old do something horrible enough to be hit with a piece of wood? That's not spanking. That's battery and should be reported. If a mother can't deal with a tiny child like that then she needs to have them taken away from her. She lacks parenting skills. Abuse is not discipline and she's abusing her children who will grow up and continue the cycle. Sad. I wish they made people take classes, take tests, pay a large fee and get a license to be able to rear children.
    Anonymous

• yikes! 8 months is way too young and spanking w/ an object is dangerous b/c you dont know how hard you are hitting. i think a child should be at least 2 and able to understand what they did was wrong & why. otherwise theres no point to it & you're just teaching the child to hit when angry...and a baby is just going to learn an unhealthy fear of the parents. i mean what could an 8 month old be doing that deserves a spanking?! its not like they are intentionally being bad.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't believe there is any age where it's appropriate to spank a child. I save that for my grown SO. He sort of likes it!
    Anonymous

• I feel once a child is to an age where they have shown a willingness to misbehave, they are old enough to spank.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• And as a side note, if I EVER knew of someone beating an 8month old with a spoon, I'd be calling CPS. At 8 months old they are BABIES! They are not children, they are not misbehaving. There is absolutely nothing that an 8month old can do that would warrant a spanking, let alone the use of a spoon or paddle. If that's how she treats her infants, I would be terrified of how she treats her children as they age.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011