Big puppy dog barks when he's excited

We have two puppies, Dexter the small pek/chi who is five months old and Kush the year old lab/sherpard mix.

They LOVE each other and love to play. The only thing is when Kush gets to excited (when playing or when we get home) he barks, and he's very loud. (not at all like Dexter's little yips) We live in a complex so need to keep him quiet.

We tell him SHHHHHHHHHHH! or Quiet but he's just so excited. Ideas?

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 9:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pets

• He's a dog. Dogs bark, and big dogs have big barks.
    Take him on long walks in the morning and afternoon to wear him out. If you're allowed to have dogs, people should understand that there are going to be times when he barks. As long as it's not incessant, it shouldn't be an issue.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 9:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I let my dogs out for like 4 hours and then they r sleeping for the night.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Well dogs do bark you can not stop it completely.

Try walking them daily.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 2:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't have got a big dog if I knew I was going to live in a duplex. I here dog training school has worked for many people.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• The dog wasn't planned. We have two small dogs,and never wanted another dog, but he came with the 18 year homeless youth we took in. We're not going to seperate him from the only thing he loves.
    The good news is the youth is working full time, but that leaves me to *handle* the dog. I do take them for walks, and let them run at the dog park whenever possible
    mrsvixen

Comment by mrsvixen (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011