Is this racist? Are you?

I'm on the West Coast of Canada, and we've always been very multicultural, which I have no problems with. What I do have a problem with is that *they* (meaning East Indian's mostly but also Asians) come to our country and try to take over.

They don't even TRY to adapt to our ways and country. The city I live in is about 80% EI and *whites* are becoming the minority! I'm so sick of our government spending money on these people to teach then English or seeing street signs in Hindi, Cantonese, they have their own schools, own churches and basically over run us in our own countries. If we try to complain about it, they're the first person to cry RACIST, yet THEY'RE the ones who are the worst.

One of my biggest peeves is that this is a ENGLISH and french country. (most of us don't speak french in the west)but now they are starting to even have in job postings that you must know THEIR language.

I have friends of all races, but I'm really tired of the immigrants taking our country for granted and basically pushing us to the back. Heck you have to be a *minority* to get government help it seems.

mrsvixen

Asked by mrsvixen at 9:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• That goes on here to
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't consider myself racist and I have pretty much the same opinion you do. If I were to move to another country I definately wouldn't expect everyone to bend over backward for me
    admiring_u_14

Answer by admiring_u_14 at 9:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You sure you don't have a US zipcode? Cause my friends in victoria love it there and never complain about immigrants.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I'm not racist, no. I'm not sure if you are either. I can understand your frustration. It's common for people to feel that way. Personally, if I moved to a new country, I'd try to adapt as well as possible. But really, as long as someone immigrates legally, I don't really care how they choose to live.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• sometimes what appears to be a problem is really an opportunity.
    AnitaLaugh

Answer by AnitaLaugh at 9:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• same goes on in the us too.....and I agree with admiring u....when I lived in Germany I didn't expect special treatment....and I did my best to learn the language. My neighbor and I communicated with ALOT of sign language just to get to know each other. If I were going to live somewhere perm I would learn that language.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 9:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I DONT hate any one race over another. I Hate them ALL equally. No matter what skin color we have, We are ALL HUMAN BEINGS. Part of the Human race. I dont see the Asians or Indians as trying to take over America. I do however see the MExicans as trying to turn America into AMerexico
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Victoria is not filled with East Indians, it's a beautiful city, but the homeless is really bad. It really disgusts me that it's BC's capitol and the government allows that.

When my ex in laws immigrated here from Germany and the UK, they had to know English, and have a job here already, AND have something to contribute to our country.

Now it just takes money. Many are here illegally. Something else they are really bad for is, having *monster* houses that are so huge they have 4 or 5 suites in them too, and then they rent them out illegally!

I was brought up to think every race is good and bad and I actually love learning new things, but, they try to take over EVERYTHING. They've even had laws changed so they can wear their turbans and are excluded from helmet laws, but if anyone else tried that......

It's honestly getting sooooo bad that I'm starting to think *f** I hate ***** and that bothers me
    mrsvixen

Comment by mrsvixen (original poster) at 10:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I live just south of you, border wise, and here's everything is in English and Spanish. Drives me crazy! You moved to MY country, speak MY language.

I took German and American Sign Language in high school. I also picked up a smattering of Russian, Italian, Spanish and Japanese. While in the military and living in Germany guess what I spoke off-post? German! When my current boyfriend and I went to visit his family in Italy for a few days guess what I pulled out and dusted off? Italian.

I remember as a young child going camping with my grandparents. Our "neighbors" were from Canada and really only spoke French. My grandmother dusted off her French from when SHE was in high school and attempted to communicate. It didn't work very well because she was so rusty but SHE TRIED. What I learned from that: you will get a lot further if you MAKE THE ATTEMPT to speak the native language.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yep, I totally agree with you. When we go to Mexico or California we TRY to speak Spanish to those who speak it. Can turn out pretty funny though :)

I just think it's very sad when I'm Metis so not even 100% white, yet my family has been here at lease 9 generations and I see these other people come, and get government money. You'll also see guys in their 20's with $40,000 cars, and monster houses, all because of the family.

What really bothers me too, is as soon as we hear there's been a woman murdered around the city, chances are it's one of them! A EI was just put away for murdering his PREGNANT wife.. WTF?

While in Rome, do as the Romans do, and I 100% agree with that.
    mrsvixen

Comment by mrsvixen (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011