My newborn is struggling to suck from an avent nipple.

(before you read or comment, please do not tell me to breast feed. That is not what I need to hear nor what I want to do. Thank you.)

My son is 9 days old and we have been using the nursette bottles of enfamil from the hospital. Today I tried to make the formula from the powder and tried to feed him with the avent bottle, size one nipple. He was sucking, but it wasn't working for him. I have twins, so I know the nipple and such are working fine because his brother took it fine. I also used the same bottle system for my daughter when she was a newborn.

Has anyone ever expereinced this with avent bottles? Do you have any suggestions? Do you think more time will help him develop a stronger sucking ability? Or should I change to a different bottle system for him? If so, what bottle system did you use when your child struggled with a nipple?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would contact his ped. It may be a defect in the mouth such as being tongue tied. Or he may just need a different style feeding system.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• He may not like that type of nipple. Try a few different shapes before heading off to the doctors.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i had the same problem, though he was older when he tried it. The nipple was too large, I think. I used size for his age, but he just didn't like it. I found that you sometimes have to experiment a lot with different kinds of bottles and nipples. Personally, my son liked the standard Gerber nipples the most. It figures...I bought a lot of more expensive brands and he liked the cheapest. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My grandson just couldn;'t suck hard enough. Those types of bottles (wheewwww expensive! :)) the nipples were more rigid and he had a toough time. The switched to a playtex bottle.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would try a few nipple shapes (one for several days in a row, then another) and if that doesn't work, contact the pediatrician. He may just not like the shape, or there may be bigger issues.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My sons had the same problem. My older son would only drink from the liner bottles with the big round latex nipples, i think the brand is Playtex. I tried every other bottle I could buy for him and he refused to drink from any of them until he was about 8 months old. My younger son will only drink from the silicone Parents Choice style nipples. I think it is just a preference issue and you will have to keep trying new nipple styles until you find the one he likes.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 10:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Babies still need to learn to "latch" on to artificial nipples. DD didn't like the advent bottles when we tried them and we had to switch to a different kind. Now she needed 2 months and at least 8 different kinds of silly cups before we found one she liked and is now trying to master.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I had the same problem and I switched to the Playtex drop in bottles and those worked just perfect. Good Luck
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I used Playtex newborn nursers with my daughter, starting at 10 days. She does fine with those. I switched to Parent's Choice bottles and nipples, and those are fine as well. Just try different nipples, or a different bottle.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• We use Avent bottles and never had a problem with them, but I breastfed when they were that young so it was only for supplemental bottles. They have different nipples for different ages, but if she was using a different bottle it may have had a different flow rate which may not match with the Avent nipple you are now using.

Answer by missanc at 8:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2011