Old wives tales, true or false?

I have heard of an old wives' tale that goes something like this: Babies the same sex as the baby you are carrying will be resistant to you holding them and will be fussy when you do. Babies the opposite sex of the baby you are carrying will be drawn to you and want to be more "cuddly". I was told it has something to do with sensing the sex of the baby and jealousy or something. I never experienced this with my boys, has anyone out there found this to be true?

Missalissa86

Asked by Missalissa86 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There was actually a study done on the old wives tales of pregnancy, and the only one that proved to have any legitimacy is the one about heartburn and hair. Supposedly, something is produced while hair is growing that can cause heartburn. I had horrible heartburn and my son had a head FULL of hair, so it proved to be true with me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I dont believe in wise tales.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't think it holds much truth in my case. I was pregnant with our 3rd, and I had a baby too, he was really clingy with me during my whole pregnancy. He would talk to my tummy, rub his little hand on it, and snuggle up to me when I was sitting down. He loved to be held all the time. After I had our 3rd son, he was 13 months old, and he would sit with me while I nursed our new baby boy, and he would rub his little head real soft. It was amazing to see how much he loved his baby brother.
    They are 7 and 8 yrs old now, and are best buddies.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• True, I'm having a girl, recently I tried to talk/play w/ my co-workers new baby girl and she just started crying and frowning up everytime I tried to mess w/ her. She wanted no part of me. I was immed. reminded of this wives tale by another co-worker and had to laugh, because I remembered hearng this before.
    AnnG175

Answer by AnnG175 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't put any truth in it in the least nor the heartburn from hair one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• id say in my experiace its false..all my friends kids are girls and they love me my dd is still clinging to my hip when ever she gets the chance ..i think it just depends on the baby and thier parents since most kids feed off thier parents emotions
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It was false for me. When I was pregnant with my second daughter she kicked lightly and moved around softly if my first daughter was laying on me or while I was holding her, my first daughter was still just a baby then to but she'd feel her little sister kick and she'd laugh and talk baby gibberish and the few words she knew to my belly. Now most of the time they bicker and fight (unless someone else is bickering or fighting with one of them - then the other comes to her sisters defense) - my mom likes to say even if my girls didn't look alike people can tell they're sisters just by the way they fight. When I was pregnant with my sons my daughters were sometimes cuddly and sometimes my boys would move around softly and other times they'd kick hard and it would feel like they were wrestling each other (I have twin boys) if their sisters were on me or were talking to my belly.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 11:54 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It is an old wives tale as is the hair and heartburn. My son was born almost bald and I had horrible heartburn. My cousin was born with a full head of hair so long the nurses put it in a barrett and my aunt had NO heartburn.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My older son is cuddly my younger is not..interesting tale though!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 12:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Looks like you can't put much stock in old wives' tales! lol. I wonder how many other ones are almost a complete bust!?!
    Missalissa86

Comment by Missalissa86 (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011