What do you do when you have to find a job, and fast..due to not having enough money and you have no one to watch your kids?

I am so frustrated right now. I dont know what to do. I need to find a job asap. The bills are stacking up, and I am so over whelmed. I am a single mom with four kids. All of my kids are in school, and their schools do not offer after school programs. The after school programs where I live are almost impossible to get any child in. Huge waiting list. I cant afford to pay anyone. I dont know anyone that can help, because they all work. I have been searing for jobs that are in between the hours they are in school....8:00-2:10. However, no one will hire for those hours. They want things like 7-3 or 8-5, 9-5. So I wouldnt be able to get the kids to school and make it on time, and I wouldnt be able to pick them up. I am sure there is no easy answer. But any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Have you considered a job on midnights? Im sure someone can stay at your home while the kid's sleep and you work midnights. Its all I can think of to give you an option.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was thinking the same thing. I have been looking for over night. I can find someone to do that. However, that seems hard to get for some reason. I am looking to do PCA work, as I am experienced in this. I also have a lot of clerical work on my resume, but those are the jobs that want day hours. I guess all I can do is keep looking, and pray I will make it each day. this sucks...but this is what life throws at you sometimes I guess.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Have you checked out some churches? Have you considered moving the kids to another school that does have after/before care? Super stressful. sorry your dealing with this.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• some jobs have daycare...look for some of those. Or if your kids are old enough..close to 12 I would see if your job would let you pick them up at your lunch hour and take them home and set some serious rules and lock the door. My sister and I were latch key kids. Today it is super frowned upon but if you teach them how to be responsible it is survival.
    Anonymous

• From experience this is a very tough spot to be in. You didn't mention the age of your children, could they stay at home alone after school until you got home from work? If they are too young is it possible you might qualify for a child care subsidy and they could go there after school for a couple of hours? Just the first two ideas that popped into my head, I'm sure there will be lots more help from others as well. Good Luck, don't give up, something will work out.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They are only eight years old, and I use public trans. I really need to move away from here, and really look for places with after school care in the schools. If they were close to twelve, I would have to let them come home on their own.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Is there no one you can do a babysitting exchange with?
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• @thanks Meooma ;) yes it is def tough. I am just trying to think and think some more. My brain is going to explode. I am on waiting list on all the after school programs for subsidy...and there are one to two year waits. Its crazy. Plus they dont bus the kids, unless they are DSS kids. I think its pretty sad that I dont have DSS in my life, and I cant get day care...but people that do have DSS in their lives and not working, get the open slots. I asked them why. They said that the parents are required to have time to them selfs because the kids need to be away for parts of the day. So ummm...they cant handle their kids, so they get to send them off for no reason. Its just so messed up, and not right. But hey what ever, what can I do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• @mrsvixen...everyone I know works.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• can you do in home daycare??
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011