My 6yr old's Daughter's Hair is Falling out in Clumps!

She has had her hair down for the past 2 days. When I went to wash it today large clumps were falling out! She is multiracial and I do loosely braid it everynight into 1 large braid to keep most of the knots out. I use "Just for Me" pink stuff on her hair: detangler, oil & sometimes conditioner. Her hair was not very tangled today at all. I am very concerned. I do not know if this is a health issue or maybe I am not managing her hair correctly. At the very least, I want to immediately change hair care products to 100% all natural. Please advise

colleentoybox

Asked by colleentoybox at 11:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• my mother is a hair dresser and she said dont braid her hair any more at night!! no more oil, this could be causing the hair to turn loose, the roots may be too soft to hold on, then, get her a good vitamin for a couple of days, use only baby shampoo, and dont wash her hair but every other day, let some of her nature oils take over, if it doesnt get better in at least 5-6 days, she may have a scalp fungus or a vitamin diff. i will pray for your little girl please pray for us, luv bree
    jesussaves424

Answer by jesussaves424 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• When you say "clumps" I am concerned....I would check with the doctor about it as soon as possible. The doctor will probably send you to a dermatologist.... I wouldn't wait if it is really falling out at that rate.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 3:53 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My little sister, although caucasian, had something similar happen to her. My mom noticed as she was brushing her hair one day that chunks the size of the tip of an eraser where falling out. It turned out to be ringworm, which on the skin is just red, flaky skin caused by a fungus...but on the scalp, it causes severe loss of hair in clumps. It is easily cured with medicated cream. I'd def take her to the doctors to rule out anything "bad". Good Luck.
    Raegy

Answer by Raegy at 1:45 AM on Dec. 2, 2008