Do you use a charge card for.....

Do you use a charge card for grocery's? NOT a debit card, but like a Mastercard, or Discover card? If you do, do you always pay off the balance every month or are you paying outrageous interest on food you ate months ago? I saw 4 people at the grocery store use a charge card for their grocery's today. I cant figure out why they would charge grocery's.

vbruno

Asked by vbruno at 10:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, I use it for everything, and yes I pay the balance in full each month. I do this because I earn a lot of cash back from the points, and also because it's easier to keep track of our spending with the itemized statements. Since we always pay our balance, we've never paid fees or interest.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I use a credit card for absolutely everything. But we have it set up so that the full balance comes out of our bank account every month. So it kinda works like a debit, and we use it like one... But the benefits are better with our CC than with our bank card.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They do it because they earn perks or points for doing it. As long as you pay it off before the due date, you don't get any interest.

I don't use it. I am horrible about getting it paid back off so I just don't do it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes, credit card. Yes, pay it off every month. The purpose is to collect miles for airling tickets, a cruise, etc. It depends what type of charge card you have. I would not pay for groceries with interest unless I was desperate.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 11:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• We use a credit card for EVERYTHING for the points and pay it off after every purchase through Bill Pay.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 11:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I can't get a credit card, debit for us. But a lot of them give points for purchases and if you get enough of them you can trade them in for stuff as someone else said.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I get cash back on all purchases, so I try to at least use mine for gas every month...but yes...I pay the balance in full at the end of the month. Gas and groceries are expensive enough...don't want to add interest LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Maybe they had no other choice. A lot of people are suffering financially right now. If that's the case, that's sad that they have no other option with which to get food. Personally, we don't use credit cards. We paid all of ours off a few years ago. Credit cards are a mistake we won't make again unless it's absolutely necessary.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sometimes I use my miles card, but we pay that off every month. All of the cards in my wallet have access to the same money, whether it be directly from my checking account or paid from my checking account at the end of the month.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Nope. No credit card company will give me a credit card. Debit for me.
    Anonymous