2 job interviews same day next week one in the morning and afternoon..... how should i answer the question: what are my long-term goals? or where do i see myself in 5 years? the last interview i went on the interviewer asked that question. and i found it to be kind of tricky.... i just want to answer the questions good so i can get one of these jobs.

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• I would say "In five years I would hope to have gathered the skills and experience necessary to advance" It shows you are willing to learn and work hard to earn your way up...that the position you are interviewing for is valuable to your goals, and that you are ambitious.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Certainly don't say with this company or doing the same job. I was told by an interviewer that they expected to hear that you plan on doing something even higher up the ladder by 5 years or you look like a slacker. I once joked and said alive and go the job, but it was also my birthday so the guy thought it was a good present and thought I would be fun to work with. However, I wouldn't use it again. Just look at the next level job and any training it will require and tell them you will take training and attain such and such position.
    Good luck. I was out of work for almost 3 years before I finally opened my own business. I would love ot hear someone tell the truth and would hire a person who said they want to do more with their life.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 11:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It really depends on the job. For clerical type duties, I'd say you want to see yourself in at least an assistant manager position...let them know you're ambitious and won't just sit on your thumbs, but also that you aren't out for their job :P
    If its labor, I'd say maybe see yourself as a trainer? With so many people bouncing in and out of jobs these days, it would be a comfort to know they have someone who would be willing to deal with and train the newbies.
    As I said, its different with each job...if the job is something besides these two, maybe you could post what they are and I could give a shot at some advice then?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• @ an-apple-a-day:

the position is : Patient Account Representative. for financial services dealing with medical collections working with hospitals and private dr offices.
    survivormama10

Comment by survivormama10 (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Maybe completing your accounting degree if you do not have one.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 11:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would say to be a patient accounts manager!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yeah, definitely go the manager/assistant manager route with that.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Most of them want to hear 'still working here'
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011