I have a 4 yr old son. He is not waking up on his own during the night to go to the bathroom. I have to get up about 3 times to force him to go. Unfortunately, sometimes its too late. My 11yr old daughter was potty trained fully at 2. Does anyone have a suggestion to help him and I ?

I put the Pull Ups back on him because I'm exhausted with cleaning sheets and the mattress every night.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he has problems any other times controlling himself? Id say talk to his ped about it, it could just be that hes a heavy sleeper or something medical. Id stop all drinks 3-4 hours before bedtime, but definatly first go talk to the ped.
    trusting_in_HIM

Answer by trusting_in_HIM at 11:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I don't know if you can stop your little one from peeing the bed at night. A lot of children that are potty trained do not wake up at night to go-sometimes until they are 6-9 years old! You could wake her up every so often but then you would never get any sleep! I suggest covering her mattress with plastic, and having extra sheets on hand. I also gave my son a night light and now leave the bathroom light on at night so he can find his way to the potty when he does wake up. I don't let him drink right before bed, and also make him go to the bathroom right before bedtime. Hopefully those things will work for you. If not it will come in time, I promise.
    hannahk

Answer by hannahk at 12:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• All of my boys have this problem. There isn't a thing you can do. My girls always stop wetting the bed at two but my oldest son just stopped last year, he's 10 and my 5 year old still wets the bed often. They will eventually grow out of it.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If you aren't already I would stop giving him drinks an hour before bedtime or even 2 hours and see if that helps or just talk to your pedi.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My brother was wetting his bed until 12. It a common problem. Just keep waking him and full stop on fluids. If 1 hour before does not stop the accidents, then 2, then 3. Wake him him up at the same time every night to potty. preferable before an accident strikes. IO would keep him in pull ups for a little while longer.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:54 PM on Dec. 1, 2008