Do you look like a "typical" mom? Do you ever gets looks from other moms because you don't fit a certain look?

My first concern when my kids started school would be that I would be the youngest mom in the group since I had my first baby when I was 18 - but when that first day came I found out there were three other parents with kids in the class that I went to school with and were the same age as me. However I still feel uneasy at school functions because I have many tattoos that are visible (like the one on top of my right hand, the left side of my neck, and my left lower arm) and I also have both of my eyebrows pierced (my tongue is pierced too but you can't see it when I talk and I don't play with it). I don't wear clothes that are too revealing but my hoodie and most of my shirts have either band names or insignias on them and I'm beginning to thing most of the parents don't listen to metal. I love who I am, I'm not ashamed in any way of my tattoos, my piercings, or the music I listen to but I find it kind of childish that none of the other parents reach out to me like they do with each other, some have flat out given me dirty looks. I'm a friendly person, I've never had a problem making friends and I love my friends but my kids see the other parents split off into "gossip groups" while I stand alone playing with them and their friends and its like they almost feel sorry for me because both of my daughters are very outgoing and friends with everyone in their class. Since the year is almost over I have no intentions of trying to make friends with them now, like I said I love who I am and won't change for the sake of some judgemental people but I was wondering if any other moms have ever experienced this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I LOVE YOU! You explained me to a t. Lol. I have snake bites instead of eyebrow piercings tho and tattoos. I feel ya! My DH was in a band up until a few months ago so he's like me too.. band shirts and all that. It's the same way here as it is where you are as far as being a "castout" because of how you look as far as the moms go. I was 15 when I had my oldest and I'm only 22 right now and pregnant with my 4th so I get those your too young to be a mom looks too.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I live in the south and unless you run around look like Barbie Mom or the Stepford Wife you get looked at oddly. I''ve been given the up and down once over many times for just wearing jeans and t-shirt to school functions. I worked in my daughters classes when they were smaller and people asked why I wasn't dressed better. Truth was I played with the kids, do I wouldn't wear good clothes to do that. Women in the south (usually not from her originally) are the worse offenders of not accepting someone more casual. They can wear their heels and scream later with sore feet. I'm happy the way I am and you should be as well.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 11:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Well,I don't have any tattoos or piercings but,I am much younger looking then the other moms.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I gotta add.. to each her own. I wish more of the parents of kids at my kids school were more open minded tho.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 11:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I'm far from the average mom. I'm part Gothy, part Hippy, part style... I love tats! Only wear black, red or purple, except for very special articles of clothing... And to be honest, I've always had to deal with judgments because of that, but I've never let it get to me. IF my children have to deal with assholes because of me being me, we will deal with it. But to be honest, my kids don't know I'm different, and I really don't think they will see my style as an issue. Most of my friends have kids around my age, and they mostly look like me. So it's just not something I worry about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I probably don't look like the stereotypical mom either. I've got tattoos, spiky bleach blonde short hair, I wear mainly hollister, american eagle, and aeropostale clothes with my skate shoes or flip flops. Took out my piercings a while back though, just got bored with them. I don't get judged that I know of, but you know people, they won't say it to your face anyways.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have tats and look like a thug many moms stare at me and think I am my kids sister and want to know where are parents are.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't have tattos, piercings, or anything like that but i get the nasty looks because people tend to think I'm 17 lol
    I'm actually 24, had my kid at 20..it irks me because even if I was 17 with a 4 year old, it's none of their damn business. These people don't support my kid in any way and he's a good boy, it's not like we're bad parents. ok I feel better, sorry for ranting lol
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 12:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have tattoos and has piercings but took them out when I got pregnant. I really could give 2 poops as to what people think of me the only one that matters is my son
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Girl, I'm in the same exact boat as you! To make it worse, my son goes to private christian school! All the mothers are going to bible study and stuff together. I don't practice at all. They are all older like in their 40s and I'm 23!! Even his teachers are rude to me. I have 3 tats, but the only one they've seen so far because its been winter is the one on the back of neck bc I wear my hair up a lot. I agree with you. It's childish that none of the other parents reach out to us like they do the others. When I go to pick him up, I only have 1 mom that talks to me and thats bc none of other moms talk to her either, she told me that LOL (IDKY those, She seems to fit in with rest like age group wise & appearence) I recently reached out to one mom that my son talks about her son all the time, we set up a play date and OMG we had nothing in common. I've learned that I don't really want them to talk to me anymore. LOL !!!
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2011