How much time do you really spend playing with your kids?

Quality time is important to spend with each child. I called it Mom & me time so they had my total attention for an activity or even an entire day. Do you spend time doing things with your kids or just supervise from the sidelines?

TwinkleLites

Asked by TwinkleLites at 12:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I spend A LOT of time with all 3 of my kiddos & enjoy every minute of it. I don't care if I am almost 30 I play like I am a kid again when I play with my children. Daddy played barbies with them earlier & it was the cutest thing ever lol!!!

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• As for one on one time, I don't get much with the youngest because she is a COMPLETE daddies girl. If he's home, she HAS to be with him.
    I like to leave young one and daddy at home sometimes and take the oldest with me to the store though. Let her hold things, pick out certain things (she's 3 and it makes her feel important!)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• When my sons were little I would spend hours and hours on the floor playing with them, before they were mobile. As they got mobile we played together, took walks, etc.. As they got in to interactive play with their toy kitchen, action figures and cars I spent hours playing with them w/those things and we spent a lot of outside time together playing tag and me swinging with thenm, climbing on the jungle gym, etc.. Once they got old enough to play outside alone I would sit and let the 4 of them play together but I was still known to get in to a football game or a game of tag or hide n seek. I also read to them every night at bedtime until my youngest was 11 (and my oldest was 15). And, I homeschooled them from the time they were 8, 7, 4 and 3 and homeschooled them until they were 14, 15, 14 and 12 (they started school in the 10th, 9th and 7th grades in '01, '03 and '04) so we spent a lot of time together then as well
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I try to make it a point to have one on one time. It may not happen every day, but usually once a week. They are at the ages where one on one time during the week is them reading to me every day after school. It's actually nice having them read to me...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• In the morning, we have breakfast together (yogurt, we eat light that early) and then we play in their room for an hour (I have two girls), after that is nap time for younger so eldest and I watch a movie together on the couch. When youngest wakes up, we get the oldest ready for school and walk over (its close). When I get back, I put the younger one in the highchair with lunch and do some cleaning. Then take a bit of a break before picking up eldest. After that, they play in their room together while I have some mommy time, then we play in the living room, then dinner, then 30 min in their room (all 3 of us) and then bed time.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i spend daughter and me time about 3 or so hours more if i get everything done...=) my baby is 5 months about to be 6 mnths and i dont want to miss a thing i love being a mommy
    anayasmommy21

Answer by anayasmommy21 at 12:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You are all really GREAT MOMS!!!!
    TwinkleLites

Comment by TwinkleLites (original poster) at 12:17 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have 4 kids and between homework, dinner and cleaning there dosen't seem to be much time left for planned activities one on one. I do however steal time with each child as I find it. Whether it's just a snuggle or chat I will take those moments whenever I find them.
    As far as playing with the kids I do often find myself supervising from the sidelines, or observing. Their imaginations are amazing right now and to watch my 3 oldest (6,5 and 3) come up with the things they do is fun. I do find time to play with them too though. They like to sit and color with me either in the house or on the driveway. Sometimes we will trade roles. I'll be one of them and they pretend to be eachother, we go about calling eachother by our new names and doing our new duties in the house.
    On a few occasions I have found that me and ds have been uninturrupted and completed an entire lego structure. Or paint the girls nails and watch a dvd
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I love spending all my time with my lil dude
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:10 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Not nearly as much as I would like during the week :( I get up at 5:30, 15 mo old dd gets up at 6ish. We get ready adn I drop her off at daycare around 7. i pick her up between 4-4:30. I play with her for about half an hour when we come home then I cook dinner. By the time she eats and gets cleaned I play with her for a litlte while longer and try to get daddy to play with her. But she's so worn out from DC she's ready for bed by 7 most nights. So I try to spend as much time with her as I can on the weekends!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 8:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011