Is it normal that my friend's son is 4 and is still wearing diapers?

His brother is autistic so they live with their father during the week, because there is a better program for autistic kids where he lives. She doesn't say anything about it, but I feel like his father must not be trying hard enough to teach him. My niece is 1 1/2 years old and she has already started peeing on the potty. I mean, I know girls learn this faster than boys, but my God . . .

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 11:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• At 4 he should be potty trained unless he has some issues. My son was not potty trained til he hit 3 1/2 and it was because he has kidney reflux which made it more difficult. Sounds like dad is being lazy and not really working on it. if the brother is autistic then why do both boys need to live with dad during the week. Perhaps mom should take the 4 year old for a few weeks straight to work on potty training.
    trusting_in_HIM

Answer by trusting_in_HIM at 11:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• you mean the 4 year old is autistic? if so, then yes, that's normal...it's hard to teach autistic children that. if not autistic, then no, it's not normal.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• No, I said his brother is autistic.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yeah that would be a good idea. I don't know why they both live with his useless ass.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i dont think its your kid to decide what is good for him..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• normal, no. but unheard of ,no. chances are with an autistic brother they just let it go cause they dont have the patience or the time to work with him.
    not much you can do sine its not your child and you dont have constant contact. but hopefully when he starts prek or kindergarten ( they wont let him come unless he is trained) they will point this out.
    good news is that it shouldnt harm him any.
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 6:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• A boy without learning disabilities should be potty trained at four. Of course it depends on the child, but he should be mostly in underwear with maybe an accident once in a while.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Despite wearing diapers, is he potty trained? It's possible he looks up to his big brother and doesn't quite understand that he shouldn't be in diapers any more. It's possible the father isn't pushing him and the mother knows she can't help any if the father won't. So many possibles.
    Anonymous

• Pediatricians normally see the age range extending from 2-4 years, but acknowledge it can take others longer. I think the question should be "Is the child being encouraged to train?" vs. "Is it normal?". To suggest to the child that what he is or isn't doing is not normal is to put more stress and pressure on him than he already needs.

Not all children train on the same schedule. My child began reading at fluently at 6, but that doesn't mean all children can/will. Each child progresses at their own rate.
    Anonymous