Chair in restroom?

Should a law be passed that every woman's restroom should have a chair in it so nursing moms can sit comfortably and have some privacy to feed their baby? Think about it, mom just had a baby and she likely has hemorroids. If she does not want to nurse in public and she does not carry her own chair, the only alternative is to sit on the toilet. Ouch! That makes the hemorroids worse!

Would the law stop all the whining about public nursing or would it cause business owners to whine because they have to buy a chair? Would formula/bottle feeding moms use the chair, too? How about old ladies who are waiting for someone? Would the chair be the best thing ever in a bathroom besides the automatic faucets? What do you think?

RobotLady

Asked by RobotLady at 12:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've seen some restrooms with 2 or 3 benches, all restrooms should have chairs or benches.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• A lot of places already have chairs like that. But I totally agree. I would love to see it in more public places.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 12:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes they should!
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 12:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't think it's appropriate for a nursing mother to have to retreat into a restroom at all! It's not a pleasant place to sit and nurse your baby. Nursing Moms should be encoraged to nurse in public or the chair should be in a nusing mothers room with nice pictures and pleasant things, not a smelly public restroom.

But I see what you're saying: if there is no nursing mothers area, the very least they could do is provide a chair in the "ladies". I just think it's a weak compromise. Nursing should be actively encoraged and proper adequate facilities should be the norm. Not just a chair in the toilets.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 12:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• honestly no XD only because some places don't have spaces for it. If a law did pass, who would pay the restaurant owners to remodel their bathrooms, for the lost of business?
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 12:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Judimary - That's a great idea, the law could say companies of XYZ size have to have a nursing mom's room while small businesses could just be required to provide the chair. I think retailers will want to accommodate nursing moms since it will keep them in the store longer. They could probably be convinced to build the rooms if they got a lot of letters - maybe a law isn't needed for larger companies to do it; a grass roots movement could suffice.
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 12:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Honestly I nursed my first child in a family restroom with a bench and folding door and it didn't feel right. I don't think the mothers and thier babies need to be tucked away. I also don't think that a mother needs to expose a lot of herself to feed her child in public either. I successfully fed my son in a bowling alley today at a b-day party my dd was attending. No one knew, or so it seemed. I didn't have a blanket and it looked like I was just cradling my baby.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes they should
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I nursed in public all the time. It didn't bother me and I didn't get stares but there were times when the only place with any type of seat was the restroom and the toilet was the only option. I've met women who are very uncomfortable nursing in public and others whose babies would not latch on unless they were in a quiet place. The law would help everyone.
    RobotLady

Comment by RobotLady (original poster) at 7:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No. If this were to happen, too many people would think that nursing mothers HAVE to use this chair in the restroom, and that nursing elsewhere were bad. Personally, I don't know of anyone who would choose to nurse in a bathroom, though I'm sure there are people who do.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2011