Have you ever had a crisis of faith?

Have you ever been on the brink of unbelief or disbelief? Have you had a conversion? A revelation that caused you to rethink everything you know?

adnilm

Asked by adnilm at 12:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL! Yes, for the past 15 years...
    I am going through a time now where I am doing a lot of questionings, I just finished a class in World Religion and that just posed more questions. I believe there is a God/Father to all creation, I believe in Jesus, but what I am having a hard time with is organized religion. So, I am doing research into my beliefs to find like minded people becasue I want to be a part of something, I want to learn more about the Father of creation but I don't know where to start or what is valid and true.
    JaniceMc27

Answer by JaniceMc27 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• When I was being abused, when I lost a job for no reason, when I was told hurtful things...should I go on? I often believe that if there was a God he wouldn't allow this to happen, but then I realize it's just the Devil having some fun and trying to make me forget God. I always believed in God ever since I was a child. Noone forced it on me, I just felt Him everytime life was tough...of course after my questioning and lesson.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yup.. From Satanist to Christian.. Pretty confusing moment for me..
    Obi.Ren.Kenobi

Answer by Obi.Ren.Kenobi at 10:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have not but as I have said before- I have not been a position where I would question my faith- I fully understand that others have and whatever conclusion they draw from that experience is not for me to judge- the only thing that bothers me is when those that have had an experience that draws them away insist that their experience is truth for all- that just because it did not work for them, that those that still believe are brainwashed idiots- that just seems silly to me-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am spiritually confused every day.lol.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 1:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I've questioned things my whole life--from around age 12 on. I was raised Christian, but never literally believed. I explored other paths and found Wicca as a teenager/young adult. In college, I studied other religions like Hinduism and Buddhism, and some others. I felt that Buddhism was a good fit for me. In recent years, I learned about Scientific Pantheism. I never felt like 'atheist' really described me. Pantheism does. I accept natural explanations and do not believe in a supernatural god or gods, but I have awe and reverence for Nature and the Universe. I've recently been studying Taoism, and they also have a pantheistic view of God too. In recent years, I've gone back to study Jesus' teachings, but have a different view of them now.There's a quote about NON-theism being relaxing in the ambiguity of not knowing that was very meaningful to me. Personally, I don't see it as a crisis--just questioning and exploration. :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes. And from there I researched every question I had. I realized I had been told what to think, instead of how to think. My conscience always whispered to me, that something was not honest or valid about believing in a god. I was afraid to admit it at first, it meant I would lose friends, family. When I started becoming un-conditioned, I valued truth over conditional relationships. Now, I am Ignostic/Agnostic/Atheist. And I've never been so free.

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• All. The. Time...when I was "christian".

Have yet to have anything of the sort since I found Paganism 15ish years ago.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I was converted to atheism when I was in my late 40's. I had asked questions of my christian religion that no one--and no book of myths--could answer. The sudden notion that 30 years of frustration were so easily explained by the simple truth that there is NO god was liberating. And frightening. I was giddy and light-headed. When I came across witchcraft I simply recognized that this is something I always was inside. I had already been an atheist for a good nine or ten years but figured it was worth trying. Weirder things have happened to me in my long life. At the worst, the Craft wouldn't work and I would continue my path of non-belief. At the best, it WOULD work and I would take back the power that religion stoled from me. I now have my atheism and my spiritualist sides in harmony and my life is right where I want it to be.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• LOL! Yes, for the past 15 years...
    >>>>>>
    I love your answer. I've been where you are
    adnilm

Comment by adnilm (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011