Any quick home remedies for tonsillitis?

im FINALLY over a bad cold but now i have tonsillitis to deal with. ive been researching some remedies to ease it but everything ive read included ingredients i dont have handy or dont wanna try ... like lime & lemon juice & salt ... wouldnt that hurt worse? ive been takin ibuprofen which helps immensely but ive been taking it for over a week to battle the sinus pain from the cold. id like to try something else so i can give my liver a rest from the pills.

Fanged_Orchid

Asked by Fanged_Orchid at 12:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• Gargle with salt water. It tastes awful, but really works. Make sure your water is hot when you do it. I have been battling it for 2 weeks now. And that is the only thing that eases the pain. I went for a strep test too and am awaiting the result.
    I always mix a cup and gargle for 15 seconds, spit and do it again...4-5 times.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• salt will help with the swelling and any infection that might be in your throat. Same with Lemon/lime. It doesn't really feel good at the time, but it does help. I use to get tonsillitis all the time as a kid and honestly the best thing is the salt and to sooth try a little honey tea.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i dont have any honey tea ... i broke down last night & took another ibuprofen so i could sleep but now it hurts sooooo bad again. ive been sick for so long now. got a cold from my son on april 1st that turned into a sinus infection & now that im better from that my tonsils are KILLING me. i just wanna be healthy again :'(
    Fanged_Orchid

Comment by Fanged_Orchid (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Go get tested for strep throat. Most health departments will swab you for a nominal fee. Ours is $15 and if you don't have a doctor, they will order a prescription for you. Untreated strep can cause heart damage. Google your local heath department and see if they do throat cultures.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• The salt water trick usually works.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i broke down & went to the ER ... sinusitis/severe tonsillitis ... the doc freaked out when he saw my tonsils. he gave me a shot of penicillin, some lidocaine to gargle, & wrote a scrip for amoxil. i tried gargling the lidocaine but its too thick to reach my tonsils. i tried rubbing it on them w/a q-tip but it didnt work. i gave up & took another ibuprofen which helped w/the body aches & nothing else. guess im gonna have to suffer w/it til its gone & live on only liquids :'(
    Fanged_Orchid

Comment by Fanged_Orchid (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011