Chili recipe?

I have a young one who's allergic to all the pre-made chili packages. Anyone have any idea how to make one out of scratch? I've been REALLY hankerin' for some chili :/

Can't have garlic in it :( Oh, and I'm not too terribly fond to too spicy.

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 1:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Honestly I never use chili powders or pre-spiced packages. I use pinto and kidney beans, meat of course, and then add my own spices. Just use what you like. Celery salt is one spice that works well in chili. Just look at your spice rack and start adding what you think sounds good. Thats what I do. lol
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes, I agree, celery salt is a good addition! Or sometimes I chop up a few stalks of celery, leaves and all. That is really good too!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My husband has way too many spices, LOL. I wouldn't know where to start!
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 1:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I brown a pound of ground beef in 2 tablespoons olive oil with about 1 medium white or yellow chopped up onion. I add 1 chopped bell pepper. (skip the chopped garlic that I add) Season this with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of chili powder (won't make it spicy) I use roma tomatoes, so chop up about 10 roma or plum tomatoes and add it into your meat mixture. Add 2 cans tomato paste and 1 can of diced, Italian style tomatoes. Stir in 4 cans of dark red kidney beans. Add 1 TBS cumin, 1 tsp coriander, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 TBS cocoa, 4 TBS chili sauce and 1 can of beef broth.

Cayenne pepper can be added if you want it spicy, omit it if you don't like it spicy. I leave it out.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• ground beef and onions cooked together and you can saute some chopped up green bell peppers as well, dump in a crock pot with
    canned diced tomatos
    red kidney beans
    pinto beans
    ketchup
    chili powder and cumin
    salt and pepper

It's as easy as that :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• forgot to add, heat everything through in the crock pot and serve. it's also awesome to freeze for later!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You're making me so hungry for chili! I would just try sesoning salt and some onion powder and some chili powder. Like the McCormick bottles.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Wow spottedpony, she could totally not have any of that either (she's allergic to beef, which sub for turkey burger, no biggie, but she's also allergic to green peppers!).

Sweetlove, the chili powder has garlic in it. At least the stuff we have does :(
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• So omit the beef broth, and replace it with some water if it is too thick and omit the green peppers. Many people do not add peppers to their chili, we like the flavor but they aren't necessary.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have my mom's chili recipe, I was just mainly concerned with how to replace the chili package :/

Ugh, I hate that my baby girl has so many allergies. I makes cooking so difficult, especially since I'm not that great of a cook anyway :(
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011