Dr appt after BFP?

How long do you wait to have your first Doc appt after you get your BFP?

babyblue7990

Asked by babyblue7990 at 1:14 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would start calling around to interview care providers asap, even before conceiving ideally.
    But just as soon as possible~
    Do you have maternity care preferences?
    You can make a list of questions and call those your insurance will cover to see who can take new clients. Set up interviews with a small handful and choose the best fit.

Good luck~ let us know if you need help.
    Congrats!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Honestly we don't have insurance right now. I would get basic health if we actually got pregnant. We could get insurance through my FI's work but it would cost us 500+ per month and that is just too much for us so I would have to get insurance AFTER we get the BFP
    babyblue7990

Comment by babyblue7990 (original poster) at 1:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Okay, so you know the kind of insurance it is. You can get the list of providers and start there if you like.

Good luck!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I always see my doctor right away.

I was 6 weeks with my first which was one week after I found out.

4 weeks with my second which was 3 days after I found out

5 weeks with my 3rd which ended in miscarriage

4 weeks with my 4th and current pregnancy. I got in the day after I found out.

I always call IMMEDIATELY because I never know how busy the doctor is. If you have to wait on government assisted health care then you may be a month or two out depending on your states filing time.

My sister was 12 weeks because she had to get medicaid and in our state they have 45 days to complete it. She found out when she was about 6 weeks and by the time she got her confirmation and then waited on medicaid she had NO prenatal care in the first trimester AT ALL!

It is BEST to have your OWN, non tax payer funded insurance BEFORE you get pregnant instead of waiting on tax payers to foot the bill. JMO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You need to get it BEFORE you get pregnant. Almost all insurance companies won't cover an uncover pregnant woman. It's not considered a medical condition but they have a loop hole and don't have to do it. They say it medically underwrites you. Medicaid is the only one that will cover you.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• And you would need a "confirmation" appt. They do a pregnancy test to confirm it. Then you get another at 12ish weeks. GL!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It depends on the doctor. You can just go in for a confirmation, though usually all they'll do is another urine pregnancy test. If you've already done a home test, their test isn't better than yours. My current OB likes to do the first visit around 8 weeks. My first pregnancy, the doctor didn't like to see you until 12 weeks. If you have problems before then (bleeding, severe cramping, etc.) they'll get you in asap. Also, if you don't have regular periods, they will typically get you in sooner for a vaginal ultrasound to see how far along you are.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 3:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011