Is this more common lately?

Is getting pregnant THEN getting heath insurance through the state happening more or are people waiting until they have insurance? It would cost about 500$ per month for my FI to get me insurance so we are waiting until I get a BFP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• It was the only way we could get health insurance for me. I think it happens pretty often especially with the way good affordable insurance is so hard to come by these days.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would not personally get pregnant to get health insurance through the state.. If I were you, I'd wait til you two got married and search for a cheaper health plan and then TTC.. IMO it's a bit irresponsible to TTC without having health insurance. I mean, if it happens it happens, but I wouldn't try for it.
    A thing you need to consider with Medicaid is that they can go after your child's father to pay back half of the medical expenses acquired during your pregnancy and birth.. I'm not sure about the exceptions or exact guidelines on that, but it happened to us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think it is becoming the trend honestly
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Would it make someone a bad person for wanting to have a baby but not being able to get health insurance until AFTER they are pregnant?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would think not as long as you or the father have jobs because your taxes do pay for the state aide. right? so you are indirectly paying your own health ins.
    it is when your just laying around on complete Welfare that it would make anybody a lazy person to just go out and intentionally get knocked up just for more benefits even though they are not paying anything into the system
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• NO NO NO! He has a job and I have been applying for HUNDREDS of jobs since we moved to a different state, plus he was in the army right before he had this job. It's just that it would cost me $600 to get on my FI's insurance and for kids it $400 per child so that's more than our rent!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't know that we will ACTIVELY try but the thing is our religion prevent us from using BC and we are just going to let what happens happen when we get married
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There are cheaper health plans available.. Try going to a website that lets you compare health insurance plans to find one that fits you and your family. I have found some as low as 250 a month for a whole family. There are other ways.. if you can stay out of the PA system, then by all means do it! I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just hate seeing people fall into this kinda thing. GL no matter what you decide to do!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 2:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yea deff get prego first, cause that really is the only way
    juni21

Answer by juni21 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thanks you guys. I posted something about this earlier and all I got was really mean comments... Almost made me cry because it was like they were saying "You are a horrible person for not having money!"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011