Would you ...

Would you let another mom from your child's school that you don't even know pick your child up for playdate without you ? lol Sounds dumb to ask, but .....

I'm asking bc I recently reached out to one of the mom's at my son's school bc my son talks about her son all the time. Come to find out, her son talks about my son all the time too. We did ONE play date 3 weeks ago for 45 minutes. She e-mailed me knowing that I just had surgery & can't really drive and asked if she could pick my son up for a playdate. She wants to take him back t her house thats at least 45 mins away and drop him back off in 3 hours? She's being real pushy about it & is making me out to be overly protective! I don't think Im being overly protective at all. I think its best if we set up a playdate in a public place and stay with our kids. I think she wants to not have me involved bc we don't have ANYTHING incommon. The one playdate we had was very awkward, lol !!

Am I too protective for saying no or do you think its common sense to say no ? lol

loudnproud87

Asked by loudnproud87 at 3:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Definitely not. He's only 4, and that's way too young IMO. I wouldn't let my 6 or 8 year old go off like that either! I must be crazy overprotective as well! lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would say no. I don't know how old your child is, but I wouldn't let mine go.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would say no, I wouldn't let my children go over someone's house without me. Go with your gut feeling and don't let her pushiness persuade you otherwise.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• just tell her he is to young to go with out you. let her down slowly lol
    juni21

Answer by juni21 at 3:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 4 years old? Absolutely not!
    GomezMami2908

• My son is 7 and I only let him go with parents who I know well and whose house I have been to. Even then I ask my teenage daughters to pop over there unannounced while he's there just to make sure all is well.

I agree: go with your gut on this. If it makes you at all uncomfortable, just a polite but firm "no thanks" is called for.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:35 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yeah, my son is only 4 yrs old!
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 3:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thanks!!
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 3:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I said thanks for the offer, but my son is too shy to go without me & maybe we could get the kids together after school one day at the park or something ? she's never emailed me back, lol I truly do think its bc we have nothing, I mean NOTHING in common. Our lives are completely different. During that one playdate, we had NOTHING to talk about. You could tell even she was struggling to come up with things to talk about ! lol I think the one of the main differences between us is that she's in the bible study stuff and I'm not.
    loudnproud87

Comment by loudnproud87 (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Not sure why she would be pushy about it, unless she let's her son rule her. If so, probably not a great influence on yours. At 4 years old I'd never let my kids go with anyone I didn't know well & ensure they had some of the same basic house rules.
    MomShoots

Answer by MomShoots at 4:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011