Quilting.............

I have been wanting for years to learn how to make a quilt, but Idk how to even get started, b/c now my BF is wanting a quilt for our bed, but I think it would probably be easier if I made one instead of buying one. Can anyone tell me how or have any info for me. Thanks

Alabamamama06

Asked by Alabamamama06 at 4:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Buying one is cheaper. There are some pretty nice ones out there for reasonable prices. But nothing compares to a hand made quilt. There are videos online and fabric stores like JoAnn's Fabrics offer quilting lessons. There might even be a quilting for dummies book (there is for everything else!!) GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree- nothing compares to a quilt made with your own hands! I have many quilts that my grandmother has made over the years- it is her passion- and I just love them. Nothing I could ever buy could ever replace them. You can look around online and find some neat sites for beginning quilting, there are free patterns all over the place, and TONS of blogs that deal with how-to's and tutorials. Just do a google search for beginning quilting blogs and see what you come up with. I, too, am a beginning quilter, and that's what I've been doing. I've already started my first quilt, and I have 3 or 4 more planned, plus a closet full of fabric! lol Hope this helps! You can message me if you want to and I'll send you some links to the blogs I have found so far.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am a quilter - I have a studio and more fabric than I could use up in a lifetime or 2. I would find a very easy pattern and make a small quilt - lap/throw size or a baby quilt to see how you like it. Some people love the piecing together of the top and hate the actual quilting. Some love both. I tend to use a professional quilter because it ends up nice than I can do with my regular machine.

I would go to either JoAnn's or a local quilt shop and ask for some easy, basic books. The easiest way to cut the material is with a rotary cutter, ruler and a cutting mat. Many places will give you a demo on how to use them. If you want to pm me, I can look up the baby quilt book that I used for my first quilt. I swear I did everything wrong and still ended up with something my son loved.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:43 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• google Georgia Bonesteel...queen of quilting in my humble op. Step one, get proper supplies. 2 pick fabric, maybe one solid and 3 or so prints that go nicely together. 3 find quilt block patterns that you like. I suggest start by piecing a pillow which can be made from on 15" block and go from there. A sewing machine is necessary.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011