Is 28 too young for hot flashes?

Am I too young for hot flashes? Only 28. They come out of nowhere and I feel so gross for the next few minutes. Nothing helps them, but when they're over it's like nothing has happened.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• I know a couple of girls who went through early menopause. Good idea to ask your doctor about it if it happens a lot.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• That is way too young!! something is not right!

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• At 28 I'd say it's a sign you need to go visit with your doctor. Your doctor can detect a lot of hormone problems just by running blood tests. I experienced hot flashes in my late 20s and early 30s. My doctor initially suspected it was premature menopause, but it turned out to be a thyroid issue.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• As with other posters...did you just recently have a baby as well?

After I gave birth to my oldest, I was having hot flashes and cold sweats, just like menopause! I was told it was normal after giving birth and that it would go away when my hormones evened out. It didn't happen with the other 3, though.

But if that's not the case, definitely go speak with your doctor!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think so. Visit your doctor and find out what's going on.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I'm 47 and have menopausal hot flashes.  I also had them in my 20's when I was on the pill and in my 30's when I was breastfeeding.   They're caused by surges of estrogen.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It is possible you are having early menopause but you will not know without talking to your doctor. I would talk to him/her to be sure. Good luck to you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011