A perfect example of Government waste?

Do you remember why the Dept of Energy was created on 8-4-1977? It was created to lesson our dependence on foreign oil.

Now, 34 years later, the budget for this much needed dept is 24.1 billion. 16,000 federal employees and approx 100,000 contract employees. At the time it was created our foreign dependence was about 30%. Now it is 70% Fine job they have done, don't you think?

And now we have turned over Banking, Healthcare and Auto industry to the same government. When did Americans become so stupid?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well to answer your first question, I wasn't even alive then so no I don't remember lol.

Secondly, America isn't doing so great these days. It's unfortunately been a very rapid downhill battle for about the last 20 years.

I think I'm going to escape to Norway next chance I get. =)
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There is a lot of untapped oil in the US, but no one wants the drilling to occur in their backyard. Hence--we are dependent on foreign oil.
    I am one that thinks too many people depend on the government. But I'm sure that there will be a lot of people here to tell me how ignorant I am for thinking that.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There will be a lot more who agree with you, layh.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 8:48 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree with you. I personally do not want the Govt in my life anymore then I need it. I think as a free country we should be able to run this country as it was intended, which was for the people and by the people. The problem is it is not run that way anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• This is just one dept. in thousands of government waste. We need to start the process now of drilling for our own oil. The longer we wait the more dependent we become. The government makes it easy for people to become dependent on them by offering so many programs that the people don't realize are a way of controlling the public. And, I am not talking welfare or social security. There are student loans, housing loans, fixer upper loans, adult education, jobs projects like CETA use to be, go green loans, be efficient loans, school breakfast, etc. etc. etc.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yay Carter! (sarcasm)

And I'm sorry, but just because you "weren't alive" when a horrible president was in office, doesn't absolve you from LEARNING about some of the disastrous mistakes this country has made, so as to avoid repeating them!!

Hmmm....me thinks the first responder BECAUSE she wasn't around for Carter, voted for Obama, because he was "unlike any other president before him!" LMAO!! Actually, he's turned out, as expected, to be worse than the worst!! Yay for clueless voters. Ugh.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It is kind of like the income tax. It was only suppose to be just long enough to suppport the Civil War cost . Hmmmm. It surely didn't go away after that war debt was paid. It became this monster with an entire agency with untold powers. Typical gov't opportunitistic ways. Typical gov't lack of efficiency. 

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It's VERY wasteful in my opinion, but so is Congress & the Senate, and so many other committee's they make now for every little thing.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• American history bores the shit out of me lol. Ancient history? Maybe. But I don't intend on being in this country much longer, so therefore I have even less of a desire to learn about it. Nothing exciting has happened. Talk to me about ancient history and I'd be much more prone to listen.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Well, that's a new one for me. "AMERICAN HISTORY BORES THE SH$$ OUT OF ME". This is our country we are talking about. It is no wonder kids don't know these things and how we got here to this point. When you no longer care or can be bothered learning about America, then I have to agree with you, it's time to move!!!!!
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 3:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011