Does your child have a specific person they REFUSE to go to?

My 15 mo old dd WILL NOT go to one of my uncles at all. Even when she was younger, she cried every time he tried to hold her. He is a large man, but so is her daddy. And she doesn't get to see him very often, but she doesn't see my other unlces very often and she still goes to them. We were at a family thing last night and he tried to hold her and she just screamed. So I held her in my lap and he was trying to play with her, but if he even looked at her or got too close to her she would cry! At one point she was reaching over trying to touch him, so I thought she was warming up to him, as soon as he turned around she started crying lol. She does the same with the baby sitters husband, although I think she warming up to him a little bit.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope. My 21 month old pretty much loves everyone!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 8:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My DD does this with my FIL; he's not around much, but after 3 years, you'd think she'd warm up to him a little....
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:52 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No my girls will go to anyone.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 8:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My kids didn't do this but my niece's daughter is afraid of tall men and any man with a beard or any facial hair
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• my oldest dd is terrified of my uncle mike, it's because he does the donald duck voice and that kind of freaked her out, but my youngest will go to him, probably because she can pull his beard LOL! I'm going to take the girls to the Easter Bunny today, so we'll see how that goes =] pray for us LOL
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My kids would not go to several people when they were small. I chalked it up to my kid's being an excellent judge of character, as I didnt like those people either.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• my 14 month old is so friendly with family members but any of our friends who come over she is very cautious and takes time to warm up around. she cried yesterday when we had a friend over that she never met. she was afraid to even walk past him, and this is the most loud and outgoing child ever! i think most kids go through a stranger anxiety phase and it does pass.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Both of my girls were very clingy so there are a lot of people they wouldn't go but my husband is that guy that NO baby (beside's our kids) want to go to. He said that even when he was a teenager his younger cousins would scream if tried to hold them. My neice and all of our friends kids would scream if tried to touch them until they were about two then they were fine. I think it is because he has a really deep voice that might be scary to babies. I feel bad for him, he doesn't even try to hold babies anymore.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Young children are sensitive just as animals are sensitive. If she doesn't like him I'm sure she knows why. Children are a very good judge of character. I don't know him and maybe he is wonderful person. I'm just saying maybe she senses something about him she just doesn't like.
    fulltimom3

Answer by fulltimom3 at 10:46 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My youngest son did that when he was smaller- not so much now that he's 2, though. He did it mostly to people he didn't really know very well and also to his grandfather on my DH's side. I don't know why, but he was SOOOOO scared of him! lol It was really funny actually, because if George(the grandpa) was not in the room everything was fine, but as soon as my son saw him, he would run to me and cling really hard, like George was going to snatch him and eat him or something! lol Poor kid.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2011