When you see a soldier in uniform...

do you give them a nod, hand shake or thank you? I always acknowledge them and am teaching my children to do the same.  How about you?  Am I just a dork?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I often thank them for their service
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• if i did that, i would be nodding my head and shaking hands allllllll day haha....we live in a military town and everywhere you go people are in uniform
    aguerra13

Answer by aguerra13 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I see people in uniform everywhere I go as we live on post. I just go about my business...my kid runs up and says DADDY! hahahahaha! :)
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 9:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I shake their hand if I can or say thank you or both. Heck one time I even thanked an JROTC student because he was in his full dress uniform.....lol. But his intentions were to join the military so its still valid. lol It's important to me they know someone appreciates what they are doing.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:12 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I do NOT think you're a dork for doing this. I'm a Vet, my dh is Active Duty, and our 18 yr old son leaves for boot camp in the fall (after he graduates this June).

We live on a military base overseas, so everywhere we turn there's people in uniform so we don't make a special effort to thank them, but I can tell you when, say, we're back home visiting family where literally almost every American we meet is either military or their family member, we do acknowledge them. I also know that most of the time, when someone does what you have described, it's appreciated (because believe me, those who do NOT like the military don't hesitate to say so...) What you do is nice :-)

and, btw, thank YOU for being supportive and teaching your children to be as well :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I salute in pride.

Answer by older at 9:33 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My husband was in the Marines, served in Desert Storm and No, I don't think that you are a dork by any means. My husband does not think you are a dork. Don't stop being supportive for fear that someone will think you are strange, it is greatly appreciated.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Strangely, I've never seen a soldier out and about. If I did, I'm sure I would do or say something nice.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• if i did something everytime i saw a uniform id never get anything done! lol. living n an army post you can see this problem :) ut it does make my DH feela ll warm and fuzzy inside when hes in uniform and someone hugs him shakes his hand etc etc.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Nope, thats a GOOD thing your doing and teaching your kid's. I thank them for serving and protecting us as well.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:41 AM on Apr. 10, 2011