HELP! 6mos old waking up every hour all of the sudden..

She was fine during the day and I noticed that her gums started hurting her a bit more today from teething. So my dh and I put her down to bed and as of 930pm she woke up every hour crying (which is unlike her) and wanting a bottle. She also woke up at the 930 time and has a stuffy nose. I'm going to take her to the dr if this continues but I just wanna know if this sounds familiar????? Any ideas???? This is my first child so I'm new at this

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 9:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could be anything...gas? teething? upset tummy? Are you giving her anything for the teething..orajel, teething tablets, tylenol?
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Does she just need to suck possibly because of teething? Will she take a pacifier? She may not be truly hungry, but just needs to soothe. Have you tried some of the Oragel products also? Just ideas.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• She may not actually need a feeding, just try a pacifier and if that doesn't work try the teething rings that you can put in the freezer to help sooth the gums. Also, have you tried baby orajel, put some on the gums just before bedtime and that should help with the sleep. Also, try infant's ibuprofen or tylenol. If none of that helps then you definately need to take your little one to the peditrician, good luck and take care.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I'm pretty sure it's definitely teething. The stuffy nose is caused by that. Give her tylenol.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I wouldn't use orajel--it can cause nerve damage.

We used an ice cube wrapped in a washcloth and tied it off with a ponytail holder as well as spritzing Cholroseptic max in the mouth and then a dose of Tylenol or Motrin depending on the age of the child. We also use Benadryl per our pediatrician's recommendation to help get our DD back to sleep. This worked from 6 mos until she was about 2 1/2 when the last teeth FINALLY came in.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thanks ladies! It turns out, she has a tooth!!
    mire621

Comment by mire621 (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• coala I have never heard that orajel causes nerve damage in fact my doctor recommended it to us when our boys were teething and my sister is a dental assistant and she said it is OK to use. I would give Tylenol and try rubbing orajel on the spot good luck
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2011