What do you do when you can't make rent?

My husband got laid off about 2 wks ago, but I thought he would find another job by now. He did get a little temporary gig for 3 days, but there's nothing left for him to do on that job. Our rent is due by the 5th and his last paycheck is coming on the 3rd. We will still be short for rent around $40. There's no way of talking to my landlord for help. Our apartments are income-based and owned by the government. Usually if we're only short a few dollars, we'll sell little things around the house, like video games and DVDs that we've collected over the years. But now I can't think of one thing to sell or anything else to do to be able to make rent. Also we're out of toilet paper and garbage bags, and I'm 9 months pregnant, so I can't work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• You mentioned your rent is income-based, is your landlord able to adjust your rent now they you are an income short? see if you can pay the $40 difference next month or into smaller pmts. Everyone in the entire US is going thru some serious hard times. God will provide, just relax and take a day at a time. They can not kick you out, they have to go thru eviction laws which can take some time...by that time, you can become current. Just take a day at a time. good luck.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Before anyone says to sell my computer or cut my internet-- I haven't paid my internet bill (which is only $20/month anyways) so it'll be gone when they cut it. And I have to have my PC for a little online job (which will be gone when the internet goes), and I haven't had any income from it this month because their server has been down for about 4-5 wks. What should I do?
    Anonymous

• maybe go to churches for help. If you explain to them what is wrong you can naybe get a check or cash form them for rent. I dont know what else you could do.
    Anonymous

• When I was young and we couldn't make the rent I remember my father would take us all out to collect cans. We would go on long walks to the park and along the coastline with my father putting cans in his bag. I think it's a little embarrassing but if you go early enough or to a place where nobody knows you it's ok. It's better than getting kicked out of your place. And I know you go out for walks in your third term of pregnancy right... ;). My husband got laid off too. He's been laid off for 4 months and I am going to the plasma center to donate blood next week. They're giving me 30 dollars. I don't think you can but maybe your husband can. Good luck. Just remember to relax for your baby.
    LivingOffLove

Answer by LivingOffLove at 3:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Do u have any jewelry u can pawn in? or extra change lying around u could change in?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Call your local Human Services. They will know if there are any places in your area that help with rent. Usually it is not hard if you have some money to contribute. Also, make sure you update the apt ppl. It sounds like your rent is income based. If that's the case, it should be reduced. Then all this worrying is for naught. Good luck hun!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• http://tinyurl.com/discountadvance

You can borrow $200 and pay back $215

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Search for a plasma center in your area and have your husband go donate. I know the one around us will give $25 or $30 on your first visit. Hope that helps. I honestly don't know what else you could do.... Im very sorry you are going through this esp at the end of your pregnancy. I would still talk to the office of your housing area. I lived in income based housing before and they let me give what I had once and then I paid the rest within the next month. They might be able to help you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for the situation you're in! We are very very close to having the same problem. Someone suggested collecting cans.. it may be a good idea. Not sure how much you would be able to help though being 9 months pregnant! Donating plasma is also a good idea, if any of you are able. There isn't always a center in your town though. Other than that I would try an emergency food program, churches, and Social Services. Hopefully you can breastfeed, but there's always WIC. I would think you would qualify. It's not very ethical but you could always "borrow" some tp from gas stations, stores, etc!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2008