What to do when you can't make rent? PIOG

My husband got laid off about 2 wks ago, but I thought he would find another job by now. He did get a little temporary gig for 3 days, but there's nothing left for him to do on that job. Our rent is due by the 5th and his last paycheck is coming on the 3rd. We will still be short for rent around $40. There's no way of talking to my landlord for help. Our apartments are income-based and owned by the government. Usually if we're only short a few dollars, we'll sell little things around the house, like video games and DVDs that we've collected over the years. But now I can't think of one thing to sell or anything else to do to be able to make rent. Also we're out of toilet paper and garbage bags, and I'm 9 months pregnant, so I can't work. I'm stressing so bad...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I understand compleatly

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

You said your in income based housing right? Like pretty much the "projects"? Because I live in incomebased housing that is pretty much that LOL. Go and talk to whoever is the Director is for your community of houses. They should be able to take that last check or whatever and base rent off it. Also, check out the welfare office and all that. If you have less than $100 to your name for a month, they have to give you emergancy foodstamps. If you cant pay off rent compleatly, you should be able to do a payment plan.
    KaileyB2004

Answer by KaileyB2004 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• CONT'D...Before anyone says to sell my computer or cut my internet-- I haven't paid my internet bill (which is only $20/month anyways) so it'll be gone when they cut it. And I have to have my PC for a little online job (which will be gone when the internet goes), and I haven't had any income from it this month because their server has been down for about 4-5 wks. What should I do?
    Anonymous

• Firstly, I'm sorry that you're going through such a rough time. I understand completely, but when my husband was laid off, we were lucky enough to have awesome landlords.

I've never had to use it, but I know that the Salvation Army in my area will help out with situations like this. I have a friend who had to seek help from them when she couldn't pay her power bill. I wish you the best of luck with everything, and hope it all works out!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Its time to go to your local welfare office sweetie, can you borrow some money from a family member or friend? Can you give the landlord what you have?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yeah I can give my landlord what I have, but being I will be short, it will add another $25 to what i will owe after the 5th.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Praying for you. Sorry you are going through this. I'm sure everything will work out. Sorry there are so many bumps in the road for you right now. Wish there was more I could say or do. I'm here if you need to talk. Good luck!
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 12:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Oh sweetie we have been in some tough spots like that too. Back when we were a young couple we did odd jobs to make ends meet. Hubby did maintenance on the apartments and I cleaned some of them as well. And we still had to go to the local food banks sometimes as well as get assistance for electricity. the salvation army is a good recourse. And if you are not on WIC get on it as soon as possible.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't know what stat you live in, but you could try the Needy Fund. They are a wonderful organization that could pay the rent for you. I know that they help with utilities, rent etc for people in your situation. I hope it all works out for you, I'll be praying for you and your family. Try not to stress too much. It will all work out. Please try the Needy Fund or find out if there is an organization like them in your state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Is there a place in town where your husband can donate plasma. If he can do it a few times he could maybe pay what you owe and the late fee. I am not sure you could being nine months along though.

I have also heard that the Salvation Army helps out people in trouble w/ rent and utilities.

honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I think Catholic Charities will help as well.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2008