Nice wedding on a small budget?

I am getting married! :) This is my second time and the first one was just at the JP's office. I want to have a wedding this time, a real one. My hubby and I are bouncing back from his lay off, he starts back tomorrow, out of town and I am bouncing back from bankruptcy so money is tight. Any suggestions?

**  We have a space that isn't costing us anything, the VFW, which my future FIL is a member of, I bought the dress from a consignment shop that was having a hugh sell on Prom dresses.

** We have a theme, it's a motorcycle theme but am trying to do a traditional theme in there too...

** I want ideas on Food, Decorations, Invitations, Bridesmaids dresses (all under 10 years old), and Cake

JaniceMc27

Asked by JaniceMc27 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I want ideas on Food, Decorations, Invitations, Bridesmaids dresses (all under 10 years old), and Cake

1) Food--Cook it yourself or find a pizzeria that caters
    2) Decor. Craft store and make them yourself. I made mine, they came out great, not cheap looking.
    3) invitations.Make it yourself. Buy cardstock and use a program, or online places like, shutterfly, kodak or snapfish, those are nice.
    4) dresses, since it's for little girls, maybe their moms can pay for them, or if youre paying, then get long "easter" type dresses same style for all of them in the same color or different colors.
    5) Cake is a tough one because they can be pricey. Shop around or if its a really small wedding you can get a sheet cake from BJ's they can put a heart or whatever u want on it or you can leave it blank and get fresh flowers and put it around the cake and buy a centerpiece for it, you know the bride/groom for the top of the cake. Congrats!
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 10:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My best freind got married and they were on a VERY tight budget and there wedding was beautiful.. Its was at the beach they used folding chairs from church then the receprion was in the hall/lunchroom whatever you call it at the church the family members made all the food I think the most expensive thing was the limo and the dj
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• At home with just family and a few friends.

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Call around to bridal shops and ask when they have their big sales. Or go on eBay and look at gowns. Also Google discount gowns in your area. I know a girl who got all her flowers from the grocery store and then made her own bouquets on the morning of the wedding. Call the store and ask when the fresh flowers come in to get them at thier best.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:57 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Back yard, ask friends to donate flowers from their gardens, do the cooking. chairs and tables can often be rented very cheaply from churches or firehouses, look for a friend or someone who does cakes from home to reduce bakery costs, if you do it in the evening, white christmas lights strung up add a little romance and elegance with candles on all the tables,
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You can get the bridesmaid dresses on ebay either custom made from China or already made. If the bridesmaid are all young as you stated there are alot of places on ebay stores you can buy them from.
    Food I dont know your budget so hard to say. You can always hire a caterer to come in and the least expensive ones I looked into were between $7-10 per person. If you dont have alot of people it might be managable. We chose to have our reception at a restaurant with a limited menu to save money.

Answer by gemgem at 10:08 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Target and Kohls have great little girl dresses and probably in enough sizes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I actually bought the flower girls dresses at target.. beautiful selection for little-little girls, but not for the bigger girls. :) I will check out Kohls, thanks.
    And thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are really helping!!
    JaniceMc27

Comment by JaniceMc27 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If you are getting married in a church choose a time that is around a holiday the church is usally already decorated with flowers etc. Our wedding was near Christmas, the church had Christmas trees up that went with our colors as well as wreaths and flowers! Cupcakes are an easy option for wedding cake you can have a small "pretty" cake made and then serve the cupcakes (don't need all the silverware and plates to serve it!) Also a grooms cake could bring in the motorcycle theme. Using toy motorcycles as favors could be fun you could also use some type of motorcycle on the cake...I bet there is a topper in that design out there but it might be pricey. We did our own invitations and programs... went to Walmart craft section and bought the package that said wedding invitations popped it in the computer and printed them off. Programs were just pretty paper using a word program brochure template.

michcous

Answer by michcous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Just do it everything yourself. That's what we did when my dh and i got married. Good luck!
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 11:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2011