How many years do you think it will take to get the U.S.A. to understand that everyone needs healthcare ins they can afford

Seriously, since this Obama Health reform ( was suppose to be good) I have had a 25% increase in my business ( I own a medical tourism company based in Mexico) oddly I thought my business would go down.

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 9:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• I agree everyone needs ins they can afford.....but we should still have options! To me the reform doesn't give that.
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It's not that the US diesn't "get it," it's that the United States, 1.) is NOT a socialist country, and 2.) has at least 10 TIMES the number of residents (not counting illegals) than every country WITH national healthcare!! There simply is not enough of a tax base to provide for every need of every citizen from cradle to grave!!

AND it stands to reason, why would the United States want to follow in the footsteps of the countries with such programs, when THEIR models and systems are collapsing due to them not being SUSTAINABLE?!?!? Where does the money come from?! We already have the top earners supporting nearly HALF the country...and we're in DIRE financial distress at this point! There is no way, we could support the other half!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:02 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Everyones medical expenses went UP in America with Obama's proposed health plan. Our premiums went up and they cut services on allot of plans to boot. Good that your business went up though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am happy that my business has gone up to as it shows me that I am doing what my vision was from the git go " to help people"
    sadly and this is a fact. Some of the procedures my Surgeons offer are less than what most insurance companies would charge for a deductible.
    MexTexmom2

Comment by MexTexmom2 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Good question MexTex! I suspect that the American healtcare insurance industry is probably going to tank within the next 5 years or so. The premiums and co-insurance are so high, thaty even middle class people are having difficulty purchasing coverage. The increases that we are seeing are not new, they are just a continuance of what has been happening for the last five years . . and are not due to "reform". What has happpened, is that every month more and more people are priced out of coverage. Then, they join our huge pool of uninsured. Uninsureds still need med care. Emergency treatment is written off by hospitals, who then have to raise prices to stay open. 1 pain pill then, starts to cost $150. Insurance companies raise rates to keep profit margin. More people become unisured.
    It is an avalanche due to greed of Anthem, Pacificare and high costs of service.
    Government takeover is the only option for us.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I dont know when they will get it but I do know that since Obama care my husbands health insurance went up through his work and they are talking about doing away with it entirely and just paying the fine. So it didnt help us at all.

Answer by gemgem at 10:39 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Something has to be done to help .....we can't be so hard -hearted and narrow- minded that we start saying that its just tough if millions of people will not be able to afford basic health insurance. Health care for the poorest of citizens is not socialism, it is care and concern for our fellow human beings. Allowing certain segments of society to die young due to lack of funds for expensive cancer teatments or rehabilitation ,for example, is like creating a judgemental 'death panel' . Allowing only expensive health care purchased by those who are wealthy is like saying only "the chosen" are allowed to have good health.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:55 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Nicely said, minnie . . . who are we, anyway, if we allow fellow Americans to die because they are not priveleged enough to get coverage?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:58 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thank you!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:05 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• What they need to do (IMO) is do away with *most* health care, and LOWER the costs of seeking medical attention in the first place! Keep the health care for those who TRULY need it and cannot afford care, even lowered care.

I know if it weren't for TriCare, my baby girl would be suffering (she has a lot of medical problems that I'm sure we wouldn't have ever been able to pay for w/o health care). But if health care cost was much lower than what it is, I'm sure we could have managed.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011