Why is my 13 mo old waking for hours at night?

Hi everyone! Next to close friends & immediate family, Cafe Mom is my next best place to go for advice!
My 13 mo old daughter has never been a great sleeper at night. She started sleeping through the night a while back & that lasted about 2weeks.
Now she is waking at night, which we understand happens with many babies, but this time around, she's staying awake for 2-3 HOURS!!!! Help!!! Of course my mommy instincts are kicking in and I'm wondering if something is wrong w/ her and I need to take her to the dr?! BUT during the day she's fine. (little crankiness from not getting an unbroken night's sleep). Any advice, suggestions or thoughts? Thank you so much everyone! P.S. I understand she's teething,etc, so I'm not extremely curious as to WHY she's waking, but why she's up for hours at a time. Thanks! :)

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:06 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She may be learning a new motor skill or having a grow spurt. Babies wake up a lot to "practice" when they are in the process of learning a new skill. If it is a grow spurt, she may be more hungry during the night. Does she seem hungry when she wakes or does she just want to play?

My son did that during that age and it only lasted for about a week.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:09 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Is she unhappy at night? If she is happy and babbing I would leave her alone. The little one I take care of does this often, but is happy as a clam in there and then goes back to sleep.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Is her crib in your room or her own room?

My 13 month old is a very lite sleeper, her bed use to be in our room but if we even rolled over it would wake her up. Once we moved her into her own room she sleeps all night now.

If she is already in her own room I would just say let her cry it out for 15-30 min. if she is still crying then try to soothe her and then put her back in bed. She probably she hasn't learned how to self soothe herself yet.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:36 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Allow 1 nap during the day no more than 2 hrs. and it has to be anytime between 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. after 3 dont let her nap if she does its ok but make sure you wake her up after 45 mins. she's getting too much rest during the day and thats why she's up at night. Another thing too about an hour before her bedtime give her a bath with the johnsons and johnsons chamomile (purple) to soothe her. It works!
    Kaleena8108

Answer by Kaleena8108 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! I appreciate your help. She is very unhappy at night that's why we go get her. And it seems like if we leave her for a long period of time, she wakes herself up even more and gets more upset.
    She is taking one nap a day and it is about 2hours-sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. Thanks so much for your input. Yesterday her nap was only an hr and 10 min and she only woke up once last night for about 40 min-maybe that is the key?! I'd hate to take away her nap so young or actually shorten it (I wouldn't take it away), but maybe I need to keep it short. Maybe she's a child who doesn't need a TON of sleep?!
    TP1283

Comment by TP1283 (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Teething, separation anxiety, mind like a sponge and doesn't want to miss anything.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2011