2-year-old with Swelling in knees, ear, elbows and splotchy red spots....

My son started having sweeling in his knees last night. The skin was red and hot. He also had red, hot skin on his elbows and on the right side of his head by his ear. Today, the knee swelling is gone, but he still seems stiff and refuses to kneel. His right ear is red, hot and swollen and seems like it's itchy. He keeps rubbing it. His elbows seemed itchy last night too. I have been looking things up online and I think it could be Juvenile Arthritis, but I don't know. This is half a vent and half a question. What do you think it could be? He has already seen a doctor and we're waiting to get in with another, but in the meantime I'm a worried mommy.
If you have experience with Juvenile Arthritis, do you think this is a possibility? What
can I do for him at home besides Ibuprophen and ice packs?

My son is 2 1/2, by the way, and I know that's young for Arthritis.

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• Has he been on Amoxicillin in any time during the past month? That sounds a bit like a delayed peniciilin allergy to me. It moves around and is very painfull.

I would suggest paging the pediatrician for advise . . .swelling like that with no injury is serious enough.

ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:16 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Take him to the doctor. Sudden swelling is a great cause for concern and should be looked at.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• dreamangel06, JA can affect boys as well. I have a friend whose son has it.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would just make sure he's comfortable and continue with the ice, 10 mins on, 10 mins off. Good luck!
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• @tracy0812, ok. i didnt know that. my sis's doc is the one that told my parents that when sh was little. but it still wouldnt make the skin itchy or swollen by his ear.
    @OP, get a second opinion....there's something wrong....
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 11:42 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Have you taken him to his pediatrician?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would bring him to the Pediatrician ASAP or even the ER!! I am not an alarmist by nature but this may be bad. He may have gotten bitten by a bug like a spider or a tick and he's haveing an allergic reaction. It could be really bad, you never know what is going on inside his body. Anything that comes on suddenly is BAD. He needs blood work done NOW. This could effect his heart and breathing.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Call your pediatrician's office. They will most likely have someone on call that you can talk to rather than looking at WebMD and jumping to wild conclusions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• People she said he had already seen a dr.

I have no idea what this could be but it sounds serious.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• JA is a condition that occurs in females only, at least thats what the doc told my parents when my big sis had it when she was young, but you might want to take him into an urgent care. And also, JA wouldnt cause anything to happen with his ears as it only effects the joints.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2011