I just have a feeling that there is something wrong with my two year old that the doctors have missed. Where is the best place to enter his symptoms for a response?

at about 1 he started with respiratory problems, he has been in hospital 5 times and they say it is asthma
He likes to chew on wet washcloths every day
He only says a few words
He was banging his head on the wall about 4 or 5 times the other day (purposefully)
He is always sick
I have almost noticed a routine in his sickness episodes
I have noticed some repetitive actions that he does

fulltimom3

Asked by fulltimom3 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Get a second opinion from another doctor.

Answer by older at 10:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You can check WebMD.com, but I would try going to a different doctor. It definitely sounds like there is more than asthma happening, but I don't have any medical background. Best of luck. I hope the doctors give you the right answers soon.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Don't rely on the internet diagnosis sights. Get an eval from a developemental speicalist. Keep seeking other opinions if they tell you nothing is wrong. In my experience a mother's instinct is often right.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Start logging his behavior that concerns you... See if you can notice a pattern. If so, take it to a different doctor and see what they say.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My son didn't start talking until he was like 27 months.. like he would say some words not many and i was COMPLETELY freaked out by it because my sisters kids are talkers.. then one day he started saying EVERYTHING sometimes kids just choose to not talk..

the other behavior though.. is worth going to another doctor with about. your son may just like the feu or youeling in his mouth of sucking on a wash rag... my son did that with his bath rag for a little bit.. I don't know you or your son but if you feel lik ethere is somethign wrong get a second or third opinion or do what you need to do until you feel that someone has taken you seriously as a parent. I used to catch crap and had to change my pediatrician becaus eI awas a young mom and I had concerns but I was poo poo'd until I switched and found someone who listened TO ME about my son :D good luck momma hopefully its a phase.
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Try a different doctor. You don't have to stay with the same doctor if you aren't happy with their diagnosis.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:40 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Get a different doctor and you need to make sure you speak up at his well baby check ups. He sounds like a normal 1 year old to me banging his head is sometimes a sign of boredom, my daughters two and she still loves wash cloths. The sickness could be from the asthma, make sure hes eating right and keeping warm. All babies are different too some learn to walk and talk before others. Just make sure you take everything up with a doctor mothers always know best too! So if you have a feeling get him in to see someone it can't hurt. GOOD LUCK!!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 10:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• here in IL there is a program called early intervention that could help with his speech see if there is a program like that where you live, then get another doctor you can't rely on the internet to diagnosis your child.. chewing on wet clothes, banging his head that sounds like he has sensory issues both my 8 yr old & 4 yr old had that. also don't be quick about putting a name to his issues hopefully he may grow out of some of them.. My 8 yr old had asthma until I moved I think there may have been mildew, or mold causing it
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:44 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• try changing his diet first. No milk products, no grain products, or artificial. stick to main "real foods". Hopefully this helps with the sickness. You should also get him to a doctor as he might be exhibiting some autistic tendancies and the sooner you get him help, the better.
    Karen-Joy

Answer by Karen-Joy at 10:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Obsessive-compulsive disorder in children and adolescents By Judith L. Rapoport

I read this book back in High School. While that was over a decade ago, CLEARLY remember them mentioning behavior like you son displays. Could be OCD (NOT AS SCARY AS IT SOUNDS) or it could be something else... My cousin has OCD REALLY bad. But after therapy and medication, he's almost back to the way he was before the OCD set in. He has a normal life.

I would definitely see a different pediatrician, try getting a recommendation from your local friends/family to find someone who is willing to listen to you and explore every option. If he or she recommends, you can see a child psychologist about his behavior.

Good luck Momma! I hope he gets better!
    Kristin_Allen

Answer by Kristin_Allen at 10:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2011