When should I tell my boss I'm pregant?

I'm afraid I'm going to get fired when he finds out.

julieintoronto

Asked by julieintoronto at 10:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Tell him when you HAVE to. They CANT fire you without just cause. If you have a job thats dangerous, especially to a preggo woman like heavy lifting then yes, youll have to tell them. If something happens and you get hurt at work workers comp would have a valid reason to deniy your claim because you didnt inform them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:03 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• well you CANNOT get fired for that. But im not sure maybe when you start showing.
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• it's illegal for a company to fire you for getting pregnant. it is however legal for them to fire you for NOT notifying them. tell him the next time you see him
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• they cant fire you! dot be afraid of that but i wouldnt tell ur boss until after your first trimester, Good luck!!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 11:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• They can't fire you for that, and eventually you will show, so I say yes.

Answer by older at 11:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You need to tell him. I'd wait until you were out of your first trimester, and let him know. Like all the others have said, if he is running a legit business, he can't fire you.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thanks for your support everyone. Really appreciate your advice.
    julieintoronto

Comment by julieintoronto (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• They CANNOT fire you for simply being pregnant if this is a legit business. Now if the pregnancy keeps you from being able to do things that are required for your job (lifting etc.) then they can either find you a different job or temporarily lay you off. If you do something that requires lifting etc or anything that could cause harm to you and baby then I would tell them right away. I found out I was pregnant 2 weeks after starting a new job and I waited until I was 3 months before telling them, but it was a desk job that required very little physical work that would cause issue with the pregnancy. if something does happen and you need workers comp they could deny you based on not knowing you were pregnant.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2011