What do I do about my 8yr old sons best friend being spoiled and sneaky

They love to hang out together and my son loves to spend the night with him. (they have 5 kids and seems like little to no rules over there) Well his friend doesn't really like to come over here because they have to be in bed at a certain time and they can't do whatever they want. If he wants something his mom runs out and buys it the next day.....if he doesn't want to DO something he is not made to do it, arrangements are made so he can have his way. It's not like that for my son. Today I had to stay home from chuch because his friend "only had cleats and no shoes" until my husband said you're staying here and since you're skipping church you can't play outside. and they magically appeared. I just don't know how to handle stuff like this. he was mean to my son saying he never wants to come here and then my son gets whiny and upset - what we have been fighting for 3 years!

His friend is a good kid just extremely spoiled and he says (and is allowed to say words like "sucks" and that's not ok in my book)

Ethans_Ma

Asked by Ethans_Ma at 11:04 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is this your child's only friend? If not, have him invite others over. Kids that you know are more like yours. I feel bad for that kid. What a disservice his parents are doing. But he definitely needs to follow your rules when in your home. He isn't that unhappy about being there if he continues to come over. Point that out to your son and tell him also how it is much better to have structure to grow up to be good compassionate people. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There isnt much you can do. He is not your child and is just your sons friend. It sounds like you are doing what you can when he is there.

Answer by gemgem at 11:07 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• thanks......and it really is his only friend....that i know anyway...they play sports together and i don't know any of the other parents. i love that he has such a good friend but i am kind of worried about how his mother will feel about us making them follow rules. but i guess there's not much i can do
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• So they got in a fight today and my son cried bc he said jason was his only friend but he was mean but there is no one else that knows me so he doesn't have anymore friends :(
    Ethans_Ma

Comment by Ethans_Ma (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2011