Do you live far from other family and how do you deal with it?

6 years ago my husband and I made the choice to move from New Mexico to South Carolina. We took the kids away from their grandparents, not out of meanness, we just wanted to move and live on our own and find out who we are as a family. For 6 years I have been plagued with guilt on the kids not seeing their grandparents and vice-versa even though my mom came to visit once and the girls have gone back 2 times for an entire summer and stayed with my in-laws. But the subject has come up again and my husband's Grandma wants us back and is offering to pay for the move. My husband was trying to convince me to go back but he had no valid arguements and even the girls do NOT want to move back. So how do I deal with the guilt of keeping family so far apart and letting them know that we don't want to move? I already send pics, and we all talk on the phone quite frequently.

seakla

Asked by seakla at 9:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• We moved from our Home state of AZ to Minnesota. Both our family's are asking why. Simple, to work on our relationship! Well I got talked into moving up because of my step-dad and mom but ironaclly never see them. We have lived here for three years and spend next to no time with them. So it is like being by ourself. My husbands mom and sister live in Missouri, so we try to trade off holiday's. As for the other family we got a phone plan where we call them all the time and send pictures over the internet. Facebook is our newest thing. I had to get on the phone with them and tell them look your brother does not like the heat, he gets very sick, therefore we moved! They are now understanding of him and see how happy we are with our 4 seasons. SNOW TOO!
    heatherakamom

Answer by heatherakamom at 9:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my husband joined the army last september and in april he got stationed in ft.hood texas. we lived in georgia at the time. i had lived in the same town my entire life and basically my whole family lives there. i have only been in texas since april but i still haven't made friends because i am a stay at home mom! i only see my husband and daughter %95 of the time. its very lonely and i miss my mom! he goes to korea for a year in september. at first he wasn't going to let me move home while he was in korea but i eventually talked him into it. i am so depressed he is going to korea but i am happier now that i know i don't have to stay here alone! i am sorry that you are having difficulty explaining to your family, it would be hard not to feel like you would hurt their feelings. i'm sorry i don't have good advice.
    scarletsm0m

Answer by scarletsm0m at 6:57 AM on Jul. 11, 2008