False positive? Help me someone

ok so I took a Blood and urine sample at the doctor 5 days ago.. said I was negative.. and I took a home test yesterday and it said I was positive.. I havent had a period though since Feb17th because I was full breastfeeding and my period came back for the first time that day and I havent had one since. If I really was that far along it would have popped up at the doctor.. so Im just curious if anyone else has had a false positive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Maybe you are newly pregnant?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:21 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Your levels might not have been high enough to detect at the doctors, or you might have just became pregnant.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:26 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Test again today. If it comes back positive again, go back to the doctor.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• As far as I know you can't get a false positive only a false negative from testing too soon.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• id test again and then go back to the doc
    Ness87

Answer by Ness87 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• When your cycle first comes back while nursing it can be very erratic so you CANNOT use that first period as a guide to "how" pregnant you are. It is completely possible that you were not far enough along to show up at the docs and now you are. I would test again and see what it says and if positive then go to the doc and get an ultrasound now to date the pregnancy. Early ultrasounds are fairly accurate at dating pregnancies unlike later ones and with you nursing there is NO way, unless you were charting, to know when you ovulated/got pregnant based on your last menstrual period.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Lol I'm waiting to find out if my positives were false. I kept getting back and forth results on HPT's. However 3 out of 4 of my positives were on blue dye tests. Those are known for giving false positives I guess. They say you can't have a false positive but my OB told me that is not true. It is very rare to get a big fat dark line and not be pregnant, but it has happened. I think in almost every case a "false positive" is caused by a glitch in the test and the line will have characteristics like being very very light, thinner than usual, incomplete, smudged or other things like that. Your test can have some of these and still be a true positive however. Pregnancy tests are not as easy as they sound lol. What type of test did you use? I would definitely take another test tomorrow with FMU and see what that one says.
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If the urine test at the doctor was negative, and yours at home was positive, I'd suggest that yours is right and theirs is wrong. A false negative is much more likely than a false positive. If the blood test at the doctor was negative, you've got another situation on your hands entirely because a blood test will show positive very soon after conception. I'd recommend calling the doctor and explaining the situation to them. They could maybe find the error or have you come in for another blood test just to make sure.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 2:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• well everyone I am a pregnant! Took two more test and both positive! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011