Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Could I be awarded sole custody with only supervised visitation for the father if his family has a history of abuse?

I think we are headed toward a divorce. My husband told me today that he was going to take our daughter from me.

His brother is a a convicted child molestor.
There is documented physical abuse from FIL.
His other brother is an alcoholic but has been in AA for 2 years.

My soon-to-be ex husband is not abusive. But he is very careless. I am concerned that he would let his molestor brother change a diaper unsupervised out of laziness. He would let his parents babysit out of laziness and they would spank with a belt.

Would this be enough to get a judge to rule that he only has supervised visitation? Yes, I have a great lawyer.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • The judge doesn't care about his family, the judge cares about HIM as a parent to his child. Unless something happens, you can' t deny him visitation. Remember, if you are simply attempting to pick apart his parenting style in court, he's going to do the same thing to you, and it's going to get uglier and more complicated.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • I agree with Musicmom... The judge will base it solely on HIM as a parent. You can request that he not be allowed to leave your child unattended with his parents, and that his brother not be allowed near your daughter.

    Answer by laird6372 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.