How do i know the back pain is labor when i can't feel contractions?!

sorry had to ask this following my other question. my back keeps hurting worse and worse but i can't feel any contractions. my first trip to the hospital to stop labor i didn't knw i was having contractions just bad back pain. once they stopped contractions though i still had back pain. just not near as bad. how can i tell the difference ?!?! i lost my plug 3 days ago and have been having strong braxton hicks contractions b4 the procardia is supposed to be taken again

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• If you were having true back labor...believe me you would not be guessing if it was real or not. I had back labor with two of my children and it is sooooo strong and soooo painful .... it is way different than just have uncomfort. But as always if you are not sure....check with your Dr.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 11:47 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You just have to keep going in and getting checked. The only way you would really know, is if it becomes very unbearable. Back pain is common in late pregnancy so it's hard to say.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I had HORRIBLE back labor with my son, but did not feel contractions. It only felt like bad cramps from my cycle (this was my first pregnancy).

For me it felt like waves starting at my belly button, going around my right hip, through my lower back, to my left hip and back to my belly button. Then, it would turn around and go back the other way. I dilated to 6cm at home.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:49 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• this seems to be pretty constant i don't notice a wave just pain!!!! i guess the back pain gets worse and worse like contractions? and does not get better if you change positions?
    and rosehawk - did you get an epidural or were you too far dilated
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• So, I've found that the contractions (BH) are only noticeable when I'm up and walking. It feels like a sudden heaviness in there or something. You can also try placing your hand on your stomach to see if you can notice it getting hard. I often have a hard time determining if it is the baby pushing oddly or an actual contraction. How far along are you? If it is early, they could do a FFN to see the liklihood of your being in labor in the next 2 weeks. If you are passed 34 weeks, though, there really isn't much point in the (very expensive) test. But before then, it can help ease your mind so you know when to really be paying very, very close attention. (You can also check your own cervix. Many women find it very helpful. Even if you don't know how "far" you are, you can tell if there has been a recent change.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 2:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i had contractions in my legs wit my first two but my third i had horrible contractions.. my mom had back labor with me and she said it felt like someone was trying to break her back.. good luck momma! im sure youll notice a difference from uncomfortable and pain
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2011