Do you ever buy your kids clothes from garage/yard sales?

Ok, I usually don't. I was on the way home from the mall, after spending $50 at Gymboree on two outfits, and saw a yard sale and decided to stop.

Can I just say (and kinda brag) that I bought TWENTY-EIGHT items of clothing for my son for $13 dollars! I could not believe it. There was Ralph Lauren, Puma, Lucky brand, Oshkosh,Gymboree, H&M, babyGap...all in excellent condition, and all his size, some still with tags on them. The Puma outfit has original tags of $40 and I paid a DOLLAR, lol. I used to feel bad putting him in anything that wasn't brand new, but geez...I got what I would estimate to be about $400 worth of clothes for under $20. I'm pretty proud, lol.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 12:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Shopping

• As often as possible. I also buy clothes at thrift shops. They outgrow them so quickly you never get your moneys worth if you buy them new. You got some great clothes for an excellent price--way to go.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I shop at garage sales, goodwill, and the mall. It doesn't matter. clothes are clothes. If you can get a good deal then go for it! don't feel bad. Be proud of your awesome deal! If you and your kid like the clothes then thats all that matters. Good For You!
    TillersonMOM

Answer by TillersonMOM at 12:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• That is awesome! I have bought a few thing for yard sales for my son.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I used to be wary of shopping second hand, but seriously you can get a lot of good stuff if you just look. And if it's not name brand, there's still a lot of great stuff, gently used, out there!
    That's an awesome find! Be you'll be doing that a lot more! lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I use to be the same way! Never scond hand for my kids, but then I realized that second hand sometimes even looks better than first and the savings..Heck noone has to know right lol : )
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Welcome to the wonderful world of yard saling!

Just remember, though, anything you purchase at yard/garage sales, WASH FIRST. Even if they are "brand new with tags", I would still wash.

Then again, I have a baby girl who is allergic to cats/dogs/all other kinds of stuff, and its just something I do. All clothing goes immediately into the laundry room (especially if I noticed they had a dog/cat).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Almost all our clothes are hand me downs, thrift store, and garage sales. We can't afford new often and I refuse to pay that much for outfits. I love the site www.threadup.com and ebay is great too. My kids get one new outfit at christmas and easter from me and of course socks and underwear are new and as gifts from others, but that is usually it. I also like to recycle a lot of stuff and feel it is wasteful to buy new clothes.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I always ALWAYS go to yard sales for everything! I am a bargain shopper tho and I don't care if something is used as long as it's in good condition and I'm getting it for a fair price then yes I'll buy it!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 12:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have not but it's not because I'm opposed to it. There aren't many yard sales here and when there are, I am either broke or don't have the time to stop. I have gotten second hand clothes from people I know whose kids have outgrown them. Even though most of my kids clothes come from a store, I don't generally break the bank. I like Geranimals because they are inexpensive and last very well until they are no longer needed. I also do a lot of clearance rack shopping. I'm done with spending huge amounts on clothes my kids wear for a very short time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yes i sure do !!! that's what the washing machine is for. when i buy 2nd hand clothes i make sure to use extra detergent and i also add vinegar or lots of baking soda to the wash.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011