What are your thoughts about 9-10 year olds going to the gym?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I think that their bodies are not fully developed enough to benefit from intense workouts. It can totally inhibit their growth.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Exercise is good for all ages...
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• they're way to young for those machines. my gym does not allow anyone under 13 and even some kids that are there end up playing on the machines instead of using them properly. it's not save. it's expensive equipment and is very dangerous if not used properly
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i guess if they're running on the treadmill, or using the bikes that's OK. For some reason, i thought of lifting weights. That is too young for weight lifting....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Oh I don't know why but weights didn't enter my mind. A 9 year old is too young to lift weights i think.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Is the child overweight?
    Treadmill is goo for them, and 3 lbs weights for their arms to tone.

As far as body building, way too young.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Most gyms don't allow kids that young. If they are using the equipment properly and stick with lighter weights, it's good exercise. It's going to depend both on the kid and the gym.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't really see the necessity. When I was 9 and 10, I got tons of exercise but never went to a gym. I got my exercise from being outside playing all day. Kids just don't play outside like they used to, though. In the summer, we'd be out from morning until night, and we were so healthy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• U have to be at least 12 to go in there!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• What do you think this will do to the kid when he or she grows up? do you think this might cause them to have self esteem problems later on in life? or do you think this a healthy way to get em started on learning how to stay fit??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2011